Question

Connecting stereo paired Sonos Move's to PC

• 18 November 2019
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Would I be correct in assuming that if I want to output all sound from my PC to my Sonos Move’s, I will need a Sonos Amp or Connect? I’d need to use a HDMI to TOSLINK adapater to connect my PC to the Amp (given my PC doesn’t have HDMI ARC, unless my Nvidia 1070 would work?) 

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2796/~/which-hdmi-audio-formats-do-nvidia-gpus-support%3F

Perhaps the GPU will simplify things for me. However, it’s still dissapointing that to gain this flexaibility in the Move’s I need to spend another $500.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Would a USB Bluetooth DAC for PC (Win 10) with LDAC/aptX HD and WIFI work?

I would like to use it to transmit audio from my PC to a number of devices. For example, BT headphones (Sony XM3) or Sonos Move speakers.

Something like the Avantree DG60 ticks all of the BT boxes (and has aptX, not LDAC though), but if I want to use my Sonos speakers in a stereo pair, they need to be connected to WIFI. So it would be good if this could tick the WIFI box too and I could add this is a source in the Sonos App.

I really don't want to have to spend $500 on the Sonos Amp just to be able to output audio from my PC to the Move's.

Any recommendations much appreciated!

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Sonos Speakers are not designed to be PC Speakers so you will have to make compromises to set them up as such. They can however play most music formats that you could store on that PC, or a NAS.  That is in line with the way the system was designed.

Yes you can use one Move as a BT speaker, but as you say you will not be able to set up a stereo pair.  The other option you explore is a Connect or a Port, or even a Beam, PlayBase/Bar.  The connect/port would accept a line in(as would a Play 5) and the PlayBase/Bar, Beam could be used with an optical adapter, to convert the line out to an optical signal i think.

You may be better off with a set up dedicated PC Speakers though.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I think I’ll end up going with a Beam and gain a speaker that does the same job as a Port for my purposes. I can pair the Move’s to that.