Answered

Connecting ProJect T1 turntable to my soundbar

Hi.

I have a Sounder and am thinking of purchasing a Project T1 turntable. What other unit do I need to make this work with my sounder?

Thanks

Ron

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 14 June 2023, 04:04

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7

You need a Sonos device with line-in like a Port, Five, Era 100, or Era 300. Read more here:

https://blog.sonos.com/en-us/listening-to-vinyl-with-sonos

Thank you. I understand but which one will work? Eras are speakers I already have a speaker. My sound bar.  

Thanks, 

Ron

Userlevel 7

Thank you. I understand but which one will work? Eras are speakers I already have a speaker. My sound bar.  

Thanks, 

Ron

If you don’t want to add another speaker, get the Sonos Port. You could even get a used Sonos Connect (Gen 2).

Great! Thanks!

Ron

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I have a Pro-Ject T1 turntable and a Sonos Port which I bought before Sonos started including line-in features to their speakers. 

I have generally found the Port doesn't have great connectivity with my system. I have audio drop-outs much more frequently than I would like. I used to think it was because I lived in an old building with brick internal walls, but I have since moved into a new building with thin walls, and I am still having frequent drop-outs. I have opted to hardwire my Port to my router via a long ethernet cable, which is somewhat defeating the point of Sonos.

The Port is really quite expensive for what it is (basically a Sonos Boost with Line-in and Line-out inputs) and for the price you'll pay for the Port, I would strongly suggest you consider an Era 300 instead. (Caveat- I don't have any Sonos speakers with Line-in feature, so I am not sure how it works but I assume once you hook up your turntable to an Era 300, the Era 300 can throw the audio to the rest of the system, like the Port does. I stand to be corrected).

As for the Pro-Ject T1, I am not crazy about that either. The counter-balance weight on the back of the tonearm is very poorly designed and impossible to make subtle corrections. The plastic casing of the Ortophon needle cartridge rides dangerously close to the spinning records' surface (within a millimeter), and I fear the tiniest speck of dust could get wedged there and scratch your records. I also find I miss having a variable speed control; I am not convinced the digital button that switches between 33 and 45 is 100% accurate. The turntable also sits on 3 legs (Pro-Ject put the pre-amp where the 4th leg should be) so the turntable it's slightly wobbly to touch. And of course it doesn't have an auto-return mechanism on the tone-arm; I know some audiophiles are sniffy about mechanical arms, but I cannot tell you how many times I've had to rush to the turntable from another room to stop my needle skirting across the runout groove and into the record label. 

Pro-Ject makes good turntables but the T1 is a bit too basic.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

You need a Sonos device with line-in like a Port, Five, Era 100, or Era 300. Read more here:

https://blog.sonos.com/en-us/listening-to-vinyl-with-sonos

Do you know if the line-in on the Era speakers can cast the line-in audio to other speakers in your system, for instances if you have the Era 100 as a stereo pair, or as a rear speaker in a surround system, or  perhaps most importantly, if you want to cast audio from the line-out devise (such as turntable) across to another room?

Essentially what I am asking is does the Era 100 replace the need for a Port if you just want line-in function.

I have struggled to find this out from reviews and manufacturer information. 

Yes, except when the Sonos Era speaker is used as a surround speaker. At that point, the line in function is disabled. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Yes, except when the Sonos Era speaker is used as a surround speaker. At that point, the line in function is disabled. 

Thats interesting. 

My intention was to replace my Symphonisk lamp speakers currently in my surround array with Era 100s, but I was hoping I could also use the line in feature to play my synthesizer which I have never been able to do with the Port because of audio delay.

I just I would have to disable surround sound every time I play my synth.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I think you do not do the Port justice by calling it a Boost with line in/out. This also means that the Port does digital to analogue converting and analogue to digital converting. That’s a bit more than a Boost would do.

Have you experimented with quality and delay settings on the Port?

Thats interesting. 

My intention was to replace my Symphonisk lamp speakers currently in my surround array with Era 100s, but I was hoping I could also use the line in feature to play my synthesizer which I have never been able to do with the Port because of audio delay.

I just I would have to disable surround sound every time I play my synth.

Sorry, but all Sonos Line-In equipped devices will have that delay.  The delay is to buffer the input for distribution to multiple rooms and cannot be removed.

Hi.

Thanks for everyone’s ideas and input. I know my sound bar is a home theater speaker. It sounds fine to me and I just want to buy a turntable that would work. Without buying more components other than the turntable. What are your thoughts on this?

Victrola - Stream Carbon Turntable - Works with Sonos. It’s expensive I know but just this purchase and I’m playing vinyl though my sound bar. Yes? No?

Appreciate it you guys,

ron

Hi.

Thanks for everyone’s ideas and input. I know my sound bar is a home theater speaker. It sounds fine to me and I just want to buy a turntable that would work. Without buying more components other than the turntable. What are your thoughts on this?

Victrola - Stream Carbon Turntable - Works with Sonos. It’s expensive I know but just this purchase and I’m playing vinyl though my sound bar. Yes? No?

Appreciate it you guys,

ron

Yes, see the YT video here:

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi.

Appreciate it you guys,

ron

Yes, see the YT video here:

Nice bit of kit. I wasn't aware of this. Expensive but looks good and no need to purchase a Port or additional speakers. And no wires to deal with either.

I can't comment on the sound quality of the turntable itself but at that price point it's probably got a sweet sound.

Only downside I could see is having yet another App on your phone.