Connect vs Connect AMP vs Sonos5 for hooking up outdoor speakers

• 28 June 2018
  • 2 replies

I currently have my outdoor speakers (Yamaha NS-AW592, 6 ohm 50-150W) connected to a Pioneer receiver (VSX-D811, 100W per channel) - to which I have connected a Sonos5. This works OK for me but as I want to use that Sonos5 elsewhere as well, I constantly have to move it around and plug in and out of the receiver. So, I am leaning towards a more permanent setup for my outdoor speakers in combination with Sonos.

One option is to use a Connect, and hook that up to my receiver - which I assume will essentially be the same as what I get now through my Sonos5 setup (?)

Other option is to forget about the receiver (which I only use to get input from Sonos) altogether and go for the Connect:Amp. Benefit would be that I no longer need to have an additional piece of equipment and would provide imho easier usability. Downside is the extra cost, and also concerned if the AMP will produce same sound quality and volume levels of output as the Pioneer receiver now does.

Any advice on whether to go with the Connect or go with the Connect:AMP would be appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15
I would personal;y use a Connect, why spend the extra on the Amp if yo already have one. Using the Amp probably isn’t a bad thing though. The Amp is 55W into 4ohms, so at 6ohms it’s probably only a little under what you have now.

Do you ever expect to play anything other than the Sonos outside? Perhaps use an outdoor projector? Add Bluetooth? Having the extra inputs on the receiver could be beneficial then.
I don't think either is a bad option, but there are pros or cons to each.

Connect:
- cheaper
- More expandable as you can upgrade your amp if you want more power or more speakers
- Requires the receiver/amp to be turned on and to the right input
- * No video syncing issues if using an outdoor tv
- connect + amp takes up more real estate

Connect:amp:
- not sure it can take a 6 ohm load, only 4 or 8. I could be 100% wrong on this.
- more expensive
- less expandable, only one input/line in
- * video syncing issues if using an outdoor tv
- less real estate.

* - Neither one of these products are designed to work with a tv, they will buffer all audio slightly so that they can sync better with other Sonos speakers in your home. That buffer means the audio will be slightly behind the video of a tv it's connected to. Not an issue for some, but it bothers me. If you ever plan on having your speakers do audio for a tv, then you might want to go with the connect option, as you could connect the tv directly to the receiver/amp and not have any potential issues.

I currently have a connect:amp going to a speaker switch, then 2 pair of speakers in the backyard and one in the garage. The sound fine, but could use an power upgrade. I also want to have a tv in the backyard and don't care for my speaker switch much. I'm seriously looking at getting the Niles SI-2150 + connect for the backyard speakers. That would give a bit more power back there, allow for the tv audio better, and it has autosense to turn on/off and switch inputs automatically. The connect:amp will then do the garage full time.