CONNECT and CONNECT:AMP on product page

• 21 May 2018
  • 5 replies

I'm sure others have noticed that the Sonos website (US) has changed over the weekend. The CONNECT and the CONNECT:AMP are now absent from the product page. I can see a couple different possible reasons for this.

1 - It's a mistake.

2 - Sonos is still selling the two products, but for some strange reason, does not want to mention it on their website.

3 - The CONNECT and/or CONNECT:AMP are being replaced with updated products, likely announced on 6/6. This makes the most sense to me. Although I can understand how Sonos may prefer to be a speaker only family of product, and these two products may not sell as well, it seems like cutting these from the lineup would be a big mistake. The CONNECT:AMP is vital to customers who prefer in ceiling/wall speakers, replacing a centralized whole home system, or outdoor speakers. Even if you only sell one AMP to 6 other speakers, the AMP may be crucial for a customers decision to go with Sonos or not. As for the CONNECT, it doesn't make sense for Onkyo to advertise 'works with Sonos' involving the CONNECT if the product was going to disappear a week later.

4 - The 2 products are just going away. Again, I have a hard time believing this.as I think they are vital for many customers in completing their whole home audio system. Maybe they replace them with just one product that does the job of both? Perhaps they are getting rid of the CONNECT:AMP, as you can replace that with a 3rd party amp + CONNECT...particularly if the CONNECT can control the AMP like it will do with Onkyo receivers.

Assuming it's option 3, would there need to be a new patent or other information in advance, or is that only for new products, not updated ones? Or perhaps the patent we saw is for an updated version of the CONNECT...with Alexa built in and HDMI added. I had another thread a few days ago where I thought this was a possibility (I hope I am wrong). Or the only real change is two products identical in features to the old one, with upgraded hardware (for future proofing) and color scheme matching current Sonos products.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
We had heard of some FCC filings for some changes to Connect (thought of as just wireless chip changes).

The pop up shows the connect but when you choose "Show All Products" it doesn't show.

Only place they both show is when you go to products pop-up and choose Upgrade Your Stereo.

They are noticeably absent from the all products page.

Also the play:3 and Play:1 are absent from the product line pictures on main page and the pop-up.

Notice the 5.1 Surround bundle is cheaper with the Sonos One than the Play:1

I would think the looks of it are that the Play:3 and Play:1 are about to go off-sale. The Connect and Connect:Amp there must be something brewing with as well.

Personally - I would think with them only saying the Play:5, Playbase, and Sonos One are compatible with new stuff going forward.... I think the Play:3, Play:1, Playbar and Connect / Connect:Amp are done as of the June announcement

Play:1 - already replaced with Sonos One
Play:3 - ? not sure we will get a replacement

Playbar - appears to be announcement of new HDMI gen2 version
Connect and Connect:Amp - we heard a while back of some approvals going through on connect but assumption it was just for a revised wifi card …. maybe we will get a surprise announcement with a new version
I hope you're correct Chris. I hadn't noticed that you could still get to the Connects if you navigated around a bit. So perhaps it's a mistake, or the website designers didn't realize they buried them that much.

I agree the play:1 will go off sale when they are out of stock. If they replace the play:3, I would think they would take the opportunity to put Alexa in it. In fact, assuming there is new connect, I hope that has voice assistant built in as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I do t think we will see any new products that don’t have voice in them. Well except maybe connect and connect amp
I can see pros and cons for adding voice to the connect or connect:amp. For the connect, I can see where you would want to have the voice control added to your existing system. However, since you wouldn't be able to hear the response unless the attached amp was set to the right input, you'd have to have to either add a speaker to the Connect, just for Alexa...or add a few extra line ins (including hdmi) to passthrough to the receiver. The latter, so that you never have to switch inputs on the receiver. The latter, I don't see as a viable option.

The connect:amp...I'd guess that it's not placed in a location where you could speak to it about 50% of the time or more. If it's no extra cost, then not a big deal, but it would likely disappoint people if it raised the cost for a feature they don't care about.
The Connect and Connect:Amp can still be found on a direct link from the Sonos home page, under 'Components'. It seems an inconsistent picture.