Question

Connect Amp to power 4 speakers (4 Ohms and 8 Ohms)

• 6 September 2017
  • 4 replies

I am interested in getting the Connect or Connect Amp for my new bathroom renovation. I want to have 2 Kohler SoundTile shower speakers (4 Ohms) and 2 Polk ceiling speakers (8 Ohms). I am aware that with these speakers I cannot just connect them all to the Connect Amp due to the 4 Ohms of the Kohler speakers. What is my best option? I was thinking of getting the Niles SSVC-2 speaker selector with volume control and impedance magnification. Would this work? I know I could purchase 2 Connect Amps, but since the 4 speakers would be in the same room it doesn't seem like a good solution (and is more expensive). I appreciate any responses! Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Yes, an impedance matching volume control would allow you to connect that level of impedance even though it is out of spec.
Jgatie, I have the exact same issue and contacted Niles tech-support and they were non-committal about being able to do this. I have not been able to get anyone directly from Sonos on the phone. Is this something you have firsthand knowledge of? Appreciate the feedback. Thanks, Brett
Jgatie, I have the exact same issue and contacted Niles tech-support and they were non-committal about being able to do this. I have not been able to get anyone directly from Sonos on the phone. Is this something you have firsthand knowledge of? Appreciate the feedback. Thanks, Brett

Yes, there have been countless users who have installed impedance matching in order to connect a higher impedance than the specified limit. That is what impedance matching volume controls do.
OK thanks for the response.