Component help

• 16 October 2021
  • 5 replies

We are trying to create a stereo system for our home that allows us to use a CD player for our collection of CDs, as well as lets us use our SiriusXM component. What would you recommend?

5 replies

In general, I’d recommend connecting the CD player to a Sonos Port’s line in, and use whichever Sonos speakers you want. Once the CD stream is in the Sonos ecosystem, it can be played on any Sonos speakers. 

Alternately, you could skip the Port completely, and use the line in on a Sonos Five. Again, once the data is in the Sonos ecosystem, it can be played on any connected Sonos speaker. 

In both cases, SiriusXM is part of the Sonos software. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Have you considered ripping copies of your CDs to a local computer and playing them from there using the Sonos Music Library option?

It takes a while to get your collection ripped but once done it is really a lot nicer to just play the copy than load the CD and play it. We haven’t had a CD out of the storage case for several years now.

Thanks for the reply...I think we have a place to start now! Really appreciate your input! 

Lol - I have thought about it and likely will at some point...but we had been out of our house for 10 months doing a huge renovation and now that we’re home, I really just want to get something done (patience isn’t my strongest personality trait). So, we’ll spend some money to be able to play physical CDs and maybe I’ll make the copying CDs a winter project! Lol...

I copied all my CDs to a local server many years ago, but I am not sure I would bother doing that work today. I don’t think I have any music on the server that isn’t also available on Spotify, and so much more than just that music, playable at any time on command. I hardly ever play the locally stored music of some 1000+ CDs. The CDs themselves were boxed when moved to the server, and it will now be a task to get rid of them when I can summon the energy for that effort!