Can I use Sonos Connect and Play:1 on my existing AV setup so the rear speakers are wireless?

• 4 February 2019
  • 3 replies

Hi there, I have been searching around for an answer on this, and I am not sure. Help much appreciated.

- I already have a good Denon AV Receiver with 5.1 set up. However, I want to have wireless rear speakers
- If I buy a Sonos Connect and two Sonos Play:1's can I hook the Sonos Connect to my AV Receiver
- And then have the two Play:1s talking to the Sonos Connect so I get true 5.1 sound delivered to the rears wirelessly?
- I would also like to have my turntable hooked up to the same Sonos Connect, but I am not sure if I'd be able to do this as well?

Hopefully this makes sense! Any help appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Part 1)

You could potentially use the CONNECTs line level inputs to fee a stereo pair os Sonos speakers as surround speakers. But I wouldn’t do it, for two pretty substantial reasons. First, there is a minimum delay of 75ms on any Sonos analog input, which would make the delay for that surround signal be really uncomfortable for that purpose. Second, and though I haven’t looked at your particular receiver, the Sonos is looking for a line level input, i.e. the same as a CD or Tape player, and not a speaker level input, so it’s unlikely that you’d be able to get an appropriate level to feed the analog input.

The fact of the matter is it’s pretty difficult to use Sonos as surround speakers, unless you have one of the Sonos soundbar to send the appropriate signal to them. That would be the PLAYBAR, the PLAYBASE, or the Beam.

Part 2)

You could, however, easily connect a pre-amp to your turntable, and feed the resulting line level outPUt to the CONNECT, and have the Turntable play on any and all Sonos speakers in your system.
Thank you very much Bruce.
You’re welcome. Sorry for all the typos, I’m sitting in an airport 😉