Answered

Can I run my Sonos system with an iPad Mini?

• 10 October 2017
  • 6 replies

Badge
Due to the loss of Sonos functionality caused by Cascading, Software Upgrade Incompatibility ... I'm going to have to make some changes.

I am currently running a Sonos system with 2 Sonos Connect, a Sonos Connect Amp, a Play:3 and a Play:5
I am controlling these with the "Sonos Controller for Mac" Version 7.0 on a MacBook Pro running 10.7.5
I also have a hard drive plugged into my wireless router that contains all of my personal music and that I frequently access with my Sonos system.

If I get rid of the Macbook, could I run the entire set-up with just a dedicated iPad Mini?
Seems like these could be had on Ebay for under $200.
Would an iPad work better?
I plan on making this a dedicated device so that future Sonos upgrades that require me to also upgrade my OS, won't impact all my other software.

Thanks for any recommendations.
Gary
icon

Best answer by Johnnie Walker 11 October 2017, 16:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

It would entirely depend on what version of iOS you could put on that iPad Mini. You can see supported OS versions here:Supported OS
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The First Generation Ipad mini will work as it supports IOS9 (which is what Sonos requires). I personally would at least get a Mini Gen2 since it will handle even current IOS11 so will get you a lot more years of use (vs. I would be scared a first generation limited to IOS9 could become obsolete for running Sonos in another year or so).
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
If using your controller for true play is not a requirement, i'll go with the amazon kindle fire. Its so much cheaper you can have multiple units around the house.
Badge
If using your controller for true play is not a requirement, i'll go with the amazon kindle fire. Its so much cheaper you can have multiple units around the house.
That's an interesting thought.
I've never used Kindle for anything other than reading. Can you download Sonos system software to it? Will it allow me to add my own music to my Sonos Library like the controller on my laptop does?
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I use a basic Amazon 7" Fire tablet stuck to my kitchen wall ( using magnets ) for the majority of my Sonos control, although I now have the option to use my Echo Dot too which is just above the Fire Tablet.

I purchased 3 of the 7" Amazon tablets a couple of years ago at the Black Friday price of £34.95 each, at that price they make fantastic Sonos controllers, and don't forget that they also have Alexa built-in too, although you do need to press and hold the Home button on the tablet to invoke Alexa, although some models, depending on the OS version can have Hands Free mode enabled: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202083830
Badge
I use a basic Amazon 7" Fire tablet stuck to my kitchen wall ( using magnets ) for the majority of my Sonos control,...
Thanks! THis sounds like just the thing.