Question

Can I add one Play3 to an existing room?

• 4 March 2018
  • 2 replies

I have had my living room set up with a Playbase and Sub in the front right corner of the room, and a pair of Play1’s in the back corners of the room. I wanted to add a powerful speaker to the front left of the room to create a true surround sound experience so I bought a Play3. But I cannot add it to the existing room no matter what I do. I had to create a new room and group that to my existing room. But now it won’t respond to the tv remote and if I’m not home with my cell to group it then it won’t work at all for my wife. I also cannot finetune them all together. It sounds great and much more powerful than the Play1’s but if it won’t add to the existing system I’m going to return it for a Play1. Anyone got any advice? Seems like adding a single Play3 to an existing room system is not an option??

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

The maximum number of speaker is a Sonos “room” is either 2.1, or 5.1. You’ve already got 5.1 in that room with the PLAYBASE (left, center, right) the pair of surrounds, and the SUB. As you have done, you can “group” any number of rooms with that one, and get the mono or stereo equivalent of the 5.1 room, but the TV remote will only control the one 5.1 room. However, you can use the controller app to control all grouped rooms at one time.

Do you not have a tablet or phone for your wife that she can add a controller to? You can have up to 32 controllers on one system.
Thank you very much Bruce! Now that you mention it, we have an old tablet that I had forgotten about that I can hook up for her. Appreciate the help!