Buying a Sonos system for a new apartment

• 19 September 2018
  • 5 replies

Me and my girlfriend just bought our first apartment. It's not very big (59 square meters), but we want to buy a Sonos system for it.

The picture doesn't reflect how we're furnishing it, but it won't be far off.

I'm currently thinking a Sonos Beam for our TV. We also want to set it up for surround, and as far as I've understood we should just go for two play:1s over two ones? Long term we might want the subwoofer as well, but won't get it straight away. Good plan?

The kitchen and living room are open, so do I need another speaker for the kitchen? Is it an idea to add one speaker to the kitchen as well for music, or is it unnecessary with the Beam and the play:1s in the living room?

We also want one in the bathroom. Is the One (or play:1?) the best option here as the bathroom is quite small?

We're not sure on the bedroom either. It's very small and close to the living room, so I guess it's a play an One here as well.

What would you recommend for this apartment?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I'm currently thinking a Sonos Beam for our TV. We also want to set it up for surround, and as far as I've understood we should just go for two play:1s over two ones? Long term we might want the subwoofer as well, but won't get it straight away. Good plan?

Good plan. The Sonos Ones don't really add any new features over the Play:1s when used as surrounds with a Beam. It has a more modern look, so the choice should be based on price and look only.

The kitchen and living room are open, so do I need another speaker for the kitchen? Is it an idea to add one speaker to the kitchen as well for music, or is it unnecessary with the Beam and the play:1s in the living room?

Like the sub, you can always add a speaker in the kitchen later on if you want to, so it's wise to wait.

We also want one in the bathroom. Is the One (or play:1?) the best option here as the bathroom is quite small?

I've had both in my bathroom and find voice control with the One will worth the extra $50 for a bathroom environment. But yes, that size will be more than adequate. I'd probably have this be the second room I'd setup with Sonos even though it's small, just because it's the farthest away from the living room, and quite possible to want different music in their then in the living room, or with the living room audio off.

We're not sure on the bedroom either. It's very small and close to the living room, so I guess it's a play an One here as well.

I like a pair of Ones in the bedroom personally, but you can add on as you wish.

What would you recommend for this apartment?

I'd set it up living room first, then bathroom, then bedroom, then kitchen.
Userlevel 7
Hi Jnessa

Here are my thoughts

Whole Apartment setup:
Boost Mode (dedicated module to router).
Use a generic Sonos email account to register Sonos products
Depending upon budget_Start with Living Room > Bed Rooms > Patio > Bath > Kitchen

Living Room
Play 1 x 2 surround/Beam/Optional Sub

Kitchen
Play 1 *

Patio
Play 1 *

Bath
Sonos One **

Large Bed Room
Play 1 with Echo Dot ***

Small Bed Room_A bit unsure about this room so you can eliminate it if not required
Play 1 with Echo Dot ***

* Controlled by Beam (can also control other speakers)
** Provides early morning 😳 hands free voice control. Alexa is Wake Command
***Use Amazon or Computer as Wake Command

Cheers!
Thanks both.

Living Room
Play 1 x 2 in stereo pair/Beam/Optional Sub
Out of interest, why play 1s as a stereo pair and not surround with the beam?
Userlevel 7
Thanks both.

Living Room

Hi

I've corrected by blunder. My mind was on another planet. I hate those out-of-body expereinces.:8
Also, out of interest (to use your phrasing) what is the small room next to the bedroom?

Cheers!
Thanks both.

Living Room

Hi

I've corrected by blunder. My mind was on another planet. I hate those out-of-body expereinces.:8
Also, out of interest (to use your phrasing) what is the small room next to the bedroom?

Cheers!
Ah, thanks.

Just a storage room so I won't be getting a Sonos speaker there anytime soon.