Answered

Buying a new turntable.

• 3 November 2021
  • 2 replies

• Contributor I
  • 0 replies

Hi! 

I am thinking about getting my first turntable. 

I want one of ProJects turntable cause of the built in preamp. But what type and model? 

And also: what shoul i buy of the port and amp? Whats the big difference? Somewhere down the road i might want to buy new speakers, and a different brand than Sonos. 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 3 November 2021, 01:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7

What is your budget? The Pro-Ject T1 Phono SB is a very popular turntable.

What’s the difference between Port and Amp?

While both Port and Amp offer streaming capabilities and allow you to bring your wired speakers into the Sonos system, the main difference between the products is amplification. Amp powers passive speakers, such as in-wall or in-ceiling speakers. Port cannot power audio equipment, which means it requires either a powered amplifier or powered speakers.

If you plan on adding passive speakers that need an amplifier, get the Amp. If you don’t plan on adding passive speakers, get the Port.

The Port is also significantly less expensive at $449 compared to the Amp at $699.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

You might also want to consider a Play 5 or Five, these also have the line in input for a turntable.