Buying a new house - Considering Sonos but confused by products

• 27 July 2023
  • 1 reply

Hi all, first I’m so glad I found this forum, it’s helped me learn some basics.

I’m buying a new house and plan to design out a Ubiquiti Unifi network - so I’m prepared/ready to run ethernet to the ceiling or wall of many rooms just for access points already.  With that, I am not sure if Sonos makes the most sense or something else (and what else, I have no idea!).  However, I believe my wifi network would be capable of handling the Sonos load - though if I’m already running ethernet I may prefer to hardwire sonos speakers anyway…  (by the way I assume there are no POE sonos speakers?)

I require at least “good” quality with good bass, I don’t need the most insane speaker quality ever, and don’t really care about high fidelity or lossless playback although I’d take it (I understand sonos doesn’t accommodate, that’s fine).  Most of all ease of use for my wife is important =). We are spotify users 99% of the time, and home theater.

With that said, I expect speakers in these locations:

1. Kitchen (2 speakers set up in stereo, probably - wall or ceiling is possible, or a shelves w/ speakers on them)
  2. Outdoors - could be installed under cover but still Ohio temperatures (1 or 2 is fine outside)
  3. Living Room Upstairs (1 or 2 is fine)
  4. Living Room downstairs (1 or 2 is fine)
  5. Bedroom (1 is fine)
  6. Home Theater (5.1 minimum is a must)

I already have a decent 5.1 system with Denon amp - happy to keep it for the home theater, but would still want a really simple way to get the whole house music to play from there when we want…

Thanks for any tips!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Sonos does not do POE.

Sonos should work with your network, but make sure you aren’t setting up multiple subnets.  Others can provide better network advice than me.

Sonos can do lossless playback, but it really depends on your source.  Spotify isn’t lossless, so obviously, you won’t get lossless with Sonos when playing Spotify.

For kitchen, you can setup an Amp + in wall/ceili speakers, but you are likely to spend more money that way and not get a better experience.  A pair of Era 100s will probably do well there.

For outdoors, an amp  (inside)+ outdoor passive speakers is the best way to go.  Sonos does have the Move and Roam portable speakers, but they are not designed to stay outside 24/7.

Hometheatre - you could use your existing system and connect it to Sonos via a Port if you wish.  Or you could replace with Sonos home theatre.