Answered

Bridge needed or not

• 19 November 2017
  • 3 replies

Without a bridge do you need a speaker connected to the Router at all times. I have had a bridge for a few years and just got 2 new sonos 1's . I already have a 5 and wondered if I can disconnect the bridge and use the speakers without the speaker being wired in to the router. All my speaker positions are not near the router so can't be plug in.
icon

Best answer by Legnum Nick 19 November 2017, 12:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Badge +1
I've got a Play 3 that is connected wirelessley and no Bridge.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
You don't need to have any Sonos device wired now, but your Sonos will work in a different way. With no component wired, all your devices will talk directly to the router. With one or more devices wired, Sonos creates its own wireless mesh network which usually gives better stability and coverage. A few years ago Sonos devices would not work wirelessly without the Sonos mesh network but that has changed. So there is no longer a need for a bridge, but personally I would keep something wired.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
My advice.

Keep the Bridge unless it fails. Why try to improve something that is already working?