Question

Boost - how far?

• 2 December 2016
  • 4 replies

How far can I extend my wireless signal using a boost? I have a bridge that I'm thinking of replacing as I can't use my Play5 in the room I want to because it's too far for the wireless signal (about 15 metres in as straight line, but that's through two walls).

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

How long is a piece of string? Depends on thickness and construction of walls. You might find it cheaper but effective to pick up another Bridge on eBay and place it between the wired Bridge and the speaker. No promises though.
How long is a piece of string? Depends on thickness and construction of walls. You might find it cheaper but effective to pick up another Bridge on eBay and place it between the wired Bridge and the speaker. No promises though.

Thanks, it may be worth a try. Incidentally, would you just connect another bridge to a power supply without having to connect to another sonos product or router positioned midway between existing bridge and Play5?
Yes. Just in a power socket in an intermediate room. In the controller go into "add a Bridge or a Boost". It should ask if you intend to use it wired to your router or elsewhere in your system, so select elsewhere. When you have a wired component every other Sonos component can act as a repeater. SonosNet is a mesh network so can extend well beyond wifi range in a series of "hops".
Cheers