Best TV for avoiding 5.1 audio delay via ARC with Sonos Beam

• 16 December 2020
  • 2 replies

Hi,

I currently have a circa 2016 Panasonic TV receiving HDMI inputs from an Apple TV 4K and PS5. I am using a Sonos Beam, plus 2 x Sonos One SL units for surround connected to the TV via the ARC HDMI port.

There is a small, but noticeable audio delay when using a 5.1 audio output from either of my sources. I have done extensive reading on the subject and rather than looking for a fix, I am simply looking for suggestions/recommendations as to 43” TV models that will work via ARC with no delay (perhaps a model with a lip-sync delay feature). Although I have seen suggestions that these issues are rare, I doubt this is the case as I’ve seen reports of the issue with Sony, Samsung, Panasonic and LG sets.

cheers,

D

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @drumbeg

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community! We’d be glad to help.

While Sonos usually refrains from recommending third-party products, you may refer to this article that will describe some basic requirements when using Sonos speakers with your TV. You may also check this article that provides steps to take if the audio coming from your Sonos home theater product is out of sync with the video. 

Furthermore, some of the community members might provide their own opinion about this anytime soon.

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out.

Hi,

Thanks for the response. The hope was that community members would chip in with their own experience, so thanks for highlighting this.

Just to offer a little more detail on my own set-up for the benefit of other users. My TV is a Panasonic TX-40DX700B receiving two HDMI inputs currently from a PS5 and an Apple TV 4K. I am not using the built in ARC port for the Sonos as that is currently in use by the PS5. I am using the TV’s optical out into the Sonos via the HDMI → optical adapter.

Interestingly, I’ve largely eradicated the 5.1 audio delay by experimenting with the TV settings. I made sure game mode was disabled and switched on many of the TV picture features in the hope that this would delay video processing a little. Results are now acceptable, not perfect, but very close.

I’d suggest that anyone with a similar Panasonic Viera model having the issues with 5.1 audio delay to just switch every picture improvement setting they can find to Max as an experiment.

When it does come time to upgrade my TV, I suspect it will feel like Russian roulette! Suggestions still welcome from other users about TVs that do not exhibit issues with 5.1.