Answered

Best stereo to work with Sonos

• Contributor I
  • 2 replies

I have 5 Sonos speakers and loved waking up to my local radio station and being able to listen in every room.  My local station recently stopped streaming on all of the radio apps.  I want to purchase a stereo receiver that will connect to my Sonos system.  What receiver will work and what other equipment is needed?   I will be looking to sell my Sonos if I can’t find a solution.   I believe Yamaha has a system that works with receivers.   Thank you in advance. 

icon

Best answer by jgatie 28 March 2020, 15:19

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

You need a receiver with analog line level outputs, preferably a dedicated Tape Out.  On the Sonos side, you need a Sonos Port.

It’s hard to believe that your local radio station stopped all streaming, given the marketplace today, and the rather large number of various companies that provide streaming. What radio station have you been listening to? Have you checked their website, or contacted them to see  what service their stream is available on?

Any receiver can send a signal to a Sonos device with an analog input. If you’re interested in two way communication, rather than the one way offered by the PLAY:5, you would want a Port, which has both input and output, which normally can be easily connected to a tape loop, and connect to the Sonos that way. If you’re interested in the Sonos driving third party speakers, the Amp has an analog input as well.

Many radios have aux outputs that you could connect to the line-in on your Connect.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Do you happen to have a Play:5 speaker (what Sonos speakers do you have).   If you have a Play:5 you have an input that you can hook radio to.  What Sonos equipment you have is the key here vs. what stereo to buy.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Something like this is all you need for AM/FM tuner to plug into sonos

https://www.amazon.com/Retekess-Portable-Transistor-Shortwave-Recorder/dp/B01ARN28SQ/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=am%2Ffm+radio&qid=1585411639&sr=8-7

or like this

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Rack-Mount-Digital-Tuner/dp/B002UKZ9K4/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=tuner+component+stereo&qid=1585412010&sr=8-16

I have 4 Play 1s and one Sonos One. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

You will need a Sonos unit with input

play:5

sonos amp

sonos port

I spoke with Best Buy and purchased this:  Sony - 2.0-Ch. Stereo Receiver with Bluetooth - Black

Rep said it should work with the Sonos connect although I have had problems with that.  We’ll see. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Looks like it will work

You will need to connect via red/white RCA cables from the Audio Input 4 OUT jacks (the ones shaded) on the receiver to the IN jacks on the Sonos Connect.