Best Great Room TV Sound

• 8 December 2020
  • 7 replies

We have a large Great Room (kitchen/living combo) that I am looking to get Sonos for.  My issue is that we host football on Sundays and when people get louder in the kitchen area I end up cranking my soundbar up and deafening the people in the living area so the kitchen people can hear.  I am looking for a setup that allows tv sound to be equally presented in all speakers. (I want to be able to have a soundbar and other speakers but I don’t want the other speakers to be “surround sound”) to summarize I want to know of options to have my tv sound be equal in all speakers in my larger great room, not picky with what the speakers are.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Then I’d look somewhere other than a Sonos solution. By the nature of the way the software is designed, there will be a delay between the TV room and any grouped room when playing the TV input. Sonos just doesn’t make a system designed for this kind of use. They would, however, be in sync when playing music. It would also be ideal for those with hard of hearing family members. It’s been requested for years, there’s been no indication that Sonos has any intention of satisfying this need. 

As a random thought, if you were only ever using this for football games, where lipsync isn’t a strong issue, you could delay the soundbar connected to the TV, so that it’s pretty much in sync with the other room….but it would be unacceptable (for me) for watching anything else, so you’d have to adjust that setting every time you had a party where you grouped the two rooms. 

Thank you for the reply and that is a very good thought and theory.  That is my biggest question can I set it up to play sound as a multi-room and use the sound bar and a pair of Sonos 1 speakers to play equal volume on all speakers?  it was my understanding that a pair of Sonos 1 speakers will act only as surround speakers when set up with a sound bar (background noise”planes flying overhead”, where I want to hear the game and announcers equally on all speakers)

So, you have two situations that can be the answer here. When the pair of speakers are set up as surround speakers, they’ll play that background noise, and not the voices. In that same configuration, when playing streaming music, they can be set up to play as regular speakers, rather than just support ‘background’ for the soundbar, there is a setting in the room controls for that.

However, in order to have the center ‘voice’ channel coming from those extra speakers, they have to be set up as a separate room, which means, as I discussed, the delay between the soundbar room and the extra room with those two speakers. This was a common thing for me in my previous home, as my kitchen was a separate room, and you couldn’t hear both sets of speakers at the same time, unless you stood in the doorway between the two. That way, I could cook and still hear the game, without issue. I couldn’t do that well in my current set up, as the kitchen is just an extension of the living room, and I’d hear both sets of speakers simultaneously. 

understood, so the fact the rooms are truly attached like your current house is as well, there's really nothing I can do with Sonos to address this and make what I want happen.

Unfortunately not. I think there is a certain market for such a feature, but so far there has been no indication that Sonos is interested in that market. And frankly, I don’t know how large (read profitable) that market is. 

that you for the response!