Beam with sub or playbase (with sub)

• 18 April 2019
  • 7 replies

Hello,

I am new here and I want to buy a home system from Bose or Sonos. Bose would be a Soundbar 700 with 500 Sub. And with Sonos it is between Playbase without or with Sub and Beam with sub. My living room is mid-size next to the dinner table and kitchen without walls. I want do expand it with Bose Home Speaker (unfortunatly they have not smaller ones than the 500) or the Sonos ones for multiroom. My questions are:

1. Would you recommend to buy the beam with sub or the playbase without sub?
2. If the playbase would win.. with or without sub? Please keep in mind the price of the sub. It would be okay. But is the improved performance worth it?
3. If you have answered these two questions and you have already experiences with the Bose System. Would you prefer Bose or Sonos (I know that I post this question in a Sonos community but a objective answer would be great). You know the HDMI and DTS „issue“..

That‘s it for now. Big thanks for the answers in advance! :)

By the way I am a pretty girl with big boobs. (I am not but maybe it fastens the responses 😃 )

Thanks & best

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Hello,

I am new here and I want to buy a home system from Bose or Sonos. Bose would be a Soundbar 700 with 500 Sub. And with Sonos it is between Playbase without or with Sub and Beam with sub. My living room is mid-size next to the dinner table and kitchen without walls. I want do expand it with Bose Home Speaker (unfortunatly they have not smaller ones than the 500) or the Sonos ones for multiroom. My questions are:

1. Would you recommend to buy the beam with sub or the playbase without sub?

"midsize is kinda vague, but I would say most living rooms fit into the large category, especially in an open floor plan. Therefore, I would probably opt for the Playbase. Both are good options though.

2. If the playbase would win.. with or without sub? Please keep in mind the price of the sub. It would be okay. But is the improved performance worth it?

The sub is always an improvement to without a sub, paired with anything. If your concerned about budget, you can try without and see how you like it, or by the sub from Sonos with the plan of possibly returning it (good return policy)

3. If you have answered these two questions and you have already experiences with the Bose System. Would you prefer Bose or Sonos (I know that I post this question in a Sonos community but a objective answer would be great). You know the HDMI and DTS „issue“..

I don't have Bose products, but I think it's fair to say that right answer is going to depend on whether you want the system for a single home theatre space only, or if you're looking for a full multiroom system. If you want a multiroom system, then go with Sonos. They have been doing it for much longer and have never ended a product line, as Bose has. If you want just a single HT setup, I would probably still go with Sonos, but you should definitely get other opinions.
Thank you for your answer!

I decided to go with SONOS. Why? It is more flexible even for the future in my point of view. You (melvimbe) mentioned that all SONOS products can connect to each other while BOSE has more than 2 categories and that was the argument why I want to go with SONOS. In addition I decided to buy the beam with the sub and the saved money will be used to purchase 2 ones. Beam should be okay for the roomsize and if there will be a new soundbar with new standards like HDMI (and maybe DTS) I will go for it in the future. I´m excited to buy the SONOS components in a few hours and to enjoy the sound while watching netflix. Sorry to my neighbours in advance for the bass...

Thanks & best
This being a Sonos support board, we all think you made the correct choice. Let us know if you run into any snags, this community loves to help.
What is the dimensions of your room, I am also looking at the Playbase via the Beam. The Playbase without HDMI is a killer for me tho but I really want the 'power' of the Playbase. Would love to know the dimensions of your room and how the Beam works out for you.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
The Playbase without HDMI is a killer for me tho

Any particular reason why?
Regarding the statement you made in the informational thread:

which means I can't change the volume on via my TV remote) , this doesn't make any sense to me. I have a PLAYBAR, and I use my TV remote all the time. The only benefit that HDMI-CEC adds is the ability to turn on the TV or change channels via voice. The PLAYBAR and PLAYBASE both have the ability to respond to your TV's remote for all other functions.
@Natjur

I have to guess the size of the room but I can check it in the evening when I am back from the office. I would say it is 4x7 and the tv is a minimum of 5 metres away from me. For that size it works well, especially in combination with the SUB. I want to mention that I completly turned up the equilizer (bass and treble) for the BEAM, the SUB setting is nearly standard and trueplay did a great job. For me the sound is great and works really good with that setting. Before I bought the SONOS devices I have been standing a long time in front of the PLAYBAR, PLAYBASE and BEAM with and without the SUB and tested it in the store. In my opinion the PLAYBASE has a bit more clearer/wider sound and of course more bass. But I prefered to invest the saved money in a ONE insteat of a 5% better sound and the SUB was a must for me. As mentioned if there will be a new playbar with modern technology I may buy that in the future.

End of May I will move into a house and there will be a 4x10 (guessing) room including tv room, kitchen table and kitchen. But the TV will be nearly 3 metres away from the sofa so I think it will be fine. I will keep you up to date.