Beam vs Arc

• 15 May 2020
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I currently have the Beam in 5.1 with Sub and 2 Play 1 in the rear. I have a 15x15 ft room. Wondering what people’s thoughts are...worth the upgrade to Arc in a room that size?  I find the sound more than fills the room right now but we are doing some remodelling so now would be the time to change. Not sure if it’s worth the extra expense?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

For me, the answer is yes. I like a wide soundstage under my 75 inch TV. It may not be so for you, tastes vary.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

I’d go for it. I’m replacing my Beam in the living room with the Arc to increase the front sound stage. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Have the same question. I have a Sonos Beam setup w/ Sub and a pair of Play 1’s for 5.1 today which sounds great for both tv consumption and music. Also have a large space with 12ft ceilings and an open plan kitchen behind my living area. There is a Play 3 in the kitchen for music. I’m sure this is a nice upgrade over a standalone Beam no doubt but would the difference be as perceptible once the Beam is supported by the Sub and true rear surrounds?

Too bad all the reviews so far compare it to the others as a stand-alone device rather than a complete system with the supporting speakers. Guess I’ll try it out given Sonos’ solid 45 day return policy. My TV is a 2018 model with ARC but no eARC however it should output Atmos through DD+ via the streaming apps regardless.

Userlevel 2
Badge

That’s really what I wonder as well. I have the some 5.1 setup. Would it make enough of a difference to justify the price?  I guess it may be a hard question to answer until people get their hands on one. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Guess so. Was hoping some of the reviews would do that comparison to the Beam with the Sub and Rears included but haven’t found any so far. I caved and ordered the Arc so will report back once I get it.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Anyone have any thoughts about this now that the Arc is starting to arrive?

I’m going to the ARC for the ATMOS. Can’t go to the Dolby theater so I’m bringing it to the house.