Beam or Arc?: 12x12 room + 90" projector Screen

• 29 October 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

I have a small room but a 90-in projector screen setup. I'm curious if the beam is too small for the projector screen or if the arc is too big for the room. I also intend to purchase a sub and two SLs.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

I would normally say with a room that size, a Beam (Gen 2), Sub, and two One SLs would be sufficient. But since you are using a 90” screen, I would go ahead and get the Arc. It won’t be too powerful for a 12 x 12 room.

Badge +1

Thanks for your answer! What I don't understand is why, acoustically, it matters that the soundbar matches the width of the screen. I mean, I get why if you had a 5" speaker matching to a 90" screen, but with a Beam (Gen 2), 2 SLs, and a woofer wouldn't that provide adequate stereo experience? Why would a 20" delta between the two matter?

Userlevel 7

90” is a pretty large screen. You want sound that matches the size of the screen. The Arc has a much wider, and taller, sound stage than the Beam. Will the Beam, Sub, and two One SLs be sufficient? Probably. But if you want the best home theater experience Sonos has to offer, get the Arc. If you are on a limited budget, get the Beam.

Badge +1

Thank you! It's the wait with the Arc, since it's back ordered until at least 12/17.

Badge +1

Actually, nevermind! The package deal with the sub and SLs isn't delayed! Perfect.

Userlevel 7

You could always get the Beam and test it. If you like it, cancel the order for the Arc. If the Beam isn’t enough, return it and wait for the Arc.