Question

Beam + Ones + sub vs Playbase

• 27 December 2018
  • 3 replies

Badge +1
Hi!

I'm interested to buy some speakers and grow in the Sonos ecosystem and am just wondering a little bit which route to take.
I'm interested in sound quality. I understand the Beam offers more the smart functions compared to play base but if we talk audio and just the joy of experiencing a good speaker system which would you suggest that I choose?

So currently I am a student and money is a limit, but at the same time I want to think ahead and buy something I can grow with, I rather spend more money on something that is very good and that I am satisfied with.

1) What do I need to get additional to the Beam so that I can reach the same audio quality as the playbase, would a Sub added to the Beam be equal to the playbase?

2) Currently I live in an apartment and therefore I can't play too loud music, would the Beam be sufficient and the playbase would be overkill?

3) For you that have experienced both the Beam and the Base, what are the differences, I've heard the base isn't as good in the beam, what are other main differences?

4) I would like to have my own home cinema in the future, could any of routes playbase 5:1 or Beam 5:1 reach the same audio experience as in the cinemas?

Thanks in advance

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

1) Beam plus SUB would outperform the PLAYBASE. Simple physics. There's just no way a 4 inch "sub" that is enclosed can compete with a purpose built SUB.

2) Depends on your ears, your musical taste. Sonos does come with a volume control, so they can be pretty much equally quiet.

3) Not applicable for me.

4) When you say "in the cinemas" you mean at your local movie theater, no, there's pretty much no home system that can match that. The local cinema has thousands of watts, usually 7.1 or more, and multiple speakers spread across a much wider stage than anything you can have at home. That being said, a good 5.1 system at home is about 90% or more of the experience, and you'd be more than happy, I'd wager.
Badge +1
1) Beam plus SUB would outperform the PLAYBASE. Simple physics. There's just no way a 4 inch "sub" that is enclosed can compete with a purpose built SUB.

2) Depends on your ears, your musical taste. Sonos does come with a volume control, so they can be pretty much equally quiet.

3) Not applicable for me.

4) When you say "in the cinemas" you mean at your local movie theater, no, there's pretty much no home system that can match that. The local cinema has thousands of watts, usually 7.1 or more, and multiple speakers spread across a much wider stage than anything you can have at home. That being said, a good 5.1 system at home is about 90% or more of the experience, and you'd be more than happy, I'd wager.

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate your comments and it has helped me to make a decision what to get. Cheers mate! 🙂
Glad it was helpful. Happy new year, and enjoy your Sonos!