Beam (Gen 2) with Atmos vs Beam (Gen 1) with surrounds

• 29 October 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Wondering whether to use the upgrade program to move from a Beam (Gen 1) to a Beam (Gen 2). I’d originally been planning on getting a pair of Ikea Symfonisks to flesh-out a surround system for watching films. But I’m wondering whether the Atmos in the second-gen Beam might actually be a more efficient (and/or cost-effective) way of achieving a surround sound experience, in a relatively small room. Can anyone speak to the effectiveness of Atmos on this new Beam?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Atmos channels are different from surround channels.  In my opinion, adding surrounds to a non-Atmos Beam will be far more effective than an Atmos Beam with no surrounds.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I switched from the old Beam to an Arc for other reasons but the amount of material I’m seeing (that I want to watch) with Atmos sound isn’t impressing me. The increased sound and stereo separation of the Arc sold me on it, not Atmos.

Both sounded a lot better with Play 1 or One SL surrounds than with no rear speakers and that would be my first move.

Userlevel 7

If you have a TV equipped with eARC and watch a lot of movies on Blu-ray or UHD disc, go with the Beam (Gen 2) so you can enjoy lossless Dolby TrueHD/Dolby Atmos or multichannel PCM audio. And then save up and add a Sub or surrounds later.

If you mainly just stream movies, keep the Beam (Gen 1) and add the surround speakers.