Question

Arc with two Ones and no Sub, will it “work”? side note: Projector and Apple TV

• 6 September 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I am thinking of getting an arc. I also want a sub but need to parse my purchases, plus I live in a small apartment and need to be conscious of bass.

I have two ones. will I have surround sound with this setup?

How would this work with an Apple TV and a projector? Currently the Apple TV feeds to my projector via hdmi. 

keeping it short, I can give more details if needed. Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @haikuluke.

Thanks for reaching out.

I appreciate your interest in getting a Sonos Arc, I’d be glad to provide details to your query.

Arc itself is a 5.0.2 speaker designed to create an immersive, 3D audio experience on its own, and it can be bonded with a pair of S2 compatible speakers in the Sonos app to bring cinema-quality sound into your home.

All of our home theater products, including Arc, were designed to be used with TVs.

That said, some projectors may be compatible if they support HDMI ARC, eARC, or Optical, with passthrough of Dolby Digital 5.1.

While in most cases that projectors don't meet the requirement, you can connect your Sonos speaker directly to the Apple TV, if it's the only video source you intend to use.

You can find more information on product features and specs on Arc's product page.

I hope that helps, and if you have any questions, please feel free to let us know.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

That said, some projectors may be compatible if they support HDMI ARC, eARC, or Optical, with passthrough of Dolby Digital 5.1.

While in most cases that projectors don't meet the requirement, you can connect your Sonos speaker directly to the Apple TV, if it's the only video source you intend to use.

Hey Annazel, thanks so much for responding. I guess I just have to clarify on this… I do indeed only use my Apple TV… but… I am a little confused and maybe you know something I don’t… the Apple TV has one hdmi out, and the arc has one hdmi in… how would I connect to the projector in this case? I have researched a bit and am basically planning on getting the hdfury 4k arcana… but it is also quite expensive and maybe I don’t need it? https://www.hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

Thanks!

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @haikuluke.

Thanks for your response.

Though wiring directly to the source device works, the supported configuration for Sonos Arc when using an HDMI connection to output sound is to connect the Arc directly to TV’s HDMI ARC/eARC port.

While there are a few reasons why customers may be or may need to use 3rd party devices in between the supported setup, Sonos usually refrains from recommending 3rd party products.

No worries, some of the community members might provide their own opinion about this anytime.

Let us know if you have additional questions or concerns, we are always glad to help.

If you read the information on the HDfury website, they have wiring diagrams for you. You absolutely would need that device, or one like it, to sit between your Apple TV, the projector, and the Sonos Arc.

If your projector /TV /Apple TV doesn’t have eARC port, you can’t have Dolby Atmos with Sonos Arc then. In this case Beam will be a better choice at half price.