Arc with third party surround powered by Amp, or One SLs?

• 21 January 2021
  • 3 replies

I am purchasing Sonos arc and sub. I am conflicted on purchasing  (2) one SL or purchasing the amp so I can run speakers. My room is 15 x 20 with 8ft ceiling and my recliner couch is against the rear wall. 

I have a few questions. Can I connect 2 in ceiling rear speakers and  2 inwall left and right? If so, can I use 1 Sonos amp to do so?

Aside from cost and installation. Will one application sound better than the other? As a note, my Primary use is for home theater but how for an adequate music listening. 

I appreciate any and all suggestion and guidance. I know you guys are all busy! 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

I’m afraid you’re not understanding how the Sonos Home Theater works.

In front, there are three options. Either of the two sound bars, the Beam or the Arc, both of which provide the three front channels of left, center, and right. The Arc also adds some upward firing speakers for Atmos, if your TV passes it properly. The third option is the Sonos Amp, which allows you to connect two non-Sonos speakers as front right and front left, and creates a ‘faux’ center channel. 

For surrounds, you have the choice of either a matched pair of Sonos speakers, or a second Amp driving your own speakers. That Amp is limited to drive only the surrounds, so the line in and subwoofer output are disabled. 

To any of those choices, you can add a Sonos subwoofer. Or, if you’re using a Sonos Amp to drive your front pair of speakers, that Amp’s subwoofer out (line level) is active.

There is no Sonos option to use three disparate speakers, Sonos or third party, as front speakers. Nor is there the capability to add any additional ‘side’ speakers. 

If you’re trying to create a true 7.1 system, you may be better off with a more traditional wired system. That being said, I am more than pleased with my Sonos Arc, with a Sonos Sub, and a pair of PLAY:1s as surrounds in my living room. 

I have a few questions. Can I connect 2 in ceiling rear speakers and  2 inwall left and right? If so, can I use 1 Sonos amp to do so?

The answers to both questions is yes, but in a home theatre setup, you shouldn’t do this.   The Amp is capable of 2 audio channels.  In normal applications that stereo.  It sometimes makes sense to wire 2 pairs of speakers to the amp for a larger space where stereo audio is all you want.  It does not make sense for a home theatre, and you want your audio channels to come from one location, not multiple.   If you’re going to use the amp for surround left and right channels, then I would plan on using them inwall.

Aside from cost and installation. Will one application sound better than the other? As a note, my Primary use is for home theater but how for an adequate music listening. 

No, not really.  Surround sound duty is very light overall, so higher quality speakers (or more watts, etc) isn’t going to improve the overall experience.  The SLs are going to be more than enough for this role.  

If you are looking to save some money, but not lose out on the Sonos ecosystem, look for some used play 1s. I have two that work fantastic as both surround and music when paired with the Arc & Sub.  

also, a hint on how to enhance the music listening experience with the Arc set up, make sure the surrounds are set to “full” under “music playback” in the Sonos app.  To my ears it sounds the same as if I had the play-1s paired with the sub alone. Although I am not sure if they have the stereo channels.