Arc + sub vs 2 pieces of five, for listening to music, which is best?

• 30 November 2023
  • 4 replies

Arc + sub vs 2 pieces of five, for listening to music, which is best?

I just got a Arc + sub for my living room. Before i got a Amp + sub and 2 peices of not active speakers.

my first thought is the my old set up was better for music.

would it be better for me to go for 2 pieces of five instead of using Arc + sub?

i dont care that much, which is best for TV and movies.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

You won’t be able to just use two Fives only for TV audio as you need a Sonos HT product to connect to the TV.

Having had the same/similar issue as you here, my chosen route was to add two Era 300s as rear surrounds to my Arc & Sub for TV viewing, but I like watching TV.  

For music, I put two Fives and a Sub (gen3) in the same room (out in front) for Music audio playback.

As you’re not too bothered about the TV viewing, I would maybe just use your Arc for TV only and get a pair of Fives and use your current Sub with those for music playback. 

I currently prefer the Fives set vertical at head height with the tweeters on the inside, but that’s a matter for yourself and your listening environment. I have the Sub in the middle, but in a corner, as shown in the attached ‘rough’ sketch. It works really well for our Living Room, but these things can depend on having power supplies nearby if, like me, you don’t like running cables around the room.

Thanks Ken.

So what you are saying, is go for a pair of fives and a Sub, for the music experience, as i dont bother for a good TV/movie sound?

Thanks Ken.

So what you are saying, is go for a pair of fives and a Sub, for the music experience, as i dont bother for a good TV/movie sound?

Yep, at least that’s the route I chose and it works well for our Living Room environment. The Fives are Sonos’ flagship speaker and a stereo pair (with a Sub) sound great for any type of music.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

@Jonas Olsson 

it is what I use a pair of 5s plus sub for music and i have an arc and 2 ones plus sub for movies 

overkill I know but I like my movies and prefer my music in stereo the old fashioned way 

not a fan of atmos music myself I can heartily recommend the 5s for music with good source material, I use Qobuz for streaming and use an astell and kern digital player wired to one of the 5s for my personal collection of hires files