Anyone use Isoacoustics size 130 and 155 for the Sonos 1 and 5?

• 9 December 2017
  • 5 replies

Badge
Isoacoustic stands often provide dramatic improvement for monitors and subs regardless whether they are mid-fi or hi-fi by tightening the bass and mids - increasing the fidelity.

Question:
1. Anyone tried the smallest L8R130 for the Sonos 1/One?
2. Anyone tried the L8R155 for the Sonos 5?
3. For good measure, anyone tried those for the Sub?

And did you hear improvements?

Thanks in advance for any help.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I have the Flexson desktop stands for my play 1 units and they certainly do two things: Bring the play 1 units closer to pointing at my ears, which always helps sound quality, and they also look cool. But if the first part isn't a reason why stands are needed, I doubt that the referred stands will do anything that Trueplay room response tuning will not able to do.
Badge
Thanks Kumar. In this case, Isoacoustics actually remove sympathetic vibrations on the desk top that comes from the body of any speakers vibrating. No room control will such as Trueplay will correct that type of muddiness. And Sonos speakers do vibrate.
The Sub does not. I haven't run the 1 units loud enough to notice. But for sure they are not muddy sounding.
Note also that the stands you refer to, that I have read about, need a marketing hook.
The Harbeth site is very useful for separating fact from fiction about many cherished audiophile beliefs.

On this subject, if interested, see the comments of the Harbeth speaker designer/owner, Alan Shaw in the link: http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/forum/the-harbeth-line-up-m20-m30-m40-1-p3esr-c7es3-shl5/harbeth-p3esr/70641-speaker-tilt-distance-height-and-angle/page2

In particular see the Alan Shaw quote:
"I have begun to make some measurements of the movement of the legs of various stands using precision B&K accelerometers and charge amplifiers when the speaker/stand is driven from a test signal. This makes comparison easy.

My initial impression is that there is, obviously, some (tiny) movement of the stand's legs but that this movement, relative to that of the sound generated by the speaker, is of a very low level indeed. What does seem to be an early result is that the interface between the bottom of the speaker cabinet and the top plate of the stand seems to have a measurable difference on the energy transmitted to the stand. How that could, theoretically, translate into a difference in sonic contribution from the stand remains to be seen.

I suspect, but of course objective measurements may prove otherwise, that the contribution of the 'sound' of the stand relative to the sound of the speaker itself, may be one percent or less, which I'd say for all practical purposes means that the nature and design of the stand makes an imperceptible sonic contribution to the overall experience. However, as you can see from the picture below, the difference in height alone could and will have a dramatic influence on perceived sound, even for stands of identical construction but differing height."

Harbeth does not make/sell stands for their speakers, so they don't have any skin in the stands game.
Sonosfan123 did you ever make a decision about this? I'm doing some research and cam across your thread. I'm looking for a speaker stand for my Play 5. It needs to be more of like a table top stand and I need to angle it down somewhat. The IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 looks like it might do the trick.