Answered

Air Play support?

• 30 March 2016
  • 6 replies

Badge +1
Hello,

Apple Music support was a nice feature addition on Sonos. I wonder if Sonos/Apple could offer AirPlay support?
If they could, it would be an awesome thing!

Thanks
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 30 March 2016, 00:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hello,

Apple Music support was a nice feature addition on Sonos. I wonder if Sonos/Apple could offer AirPlay support?
If they could, it would be an awesome thing!

Thanks

Hi Osson,

Airplay is not fully supported on Sonos at this time. While we can't comment on possible future features, we can submit a feature request for you.

If you have a Sonos unit with a line-in port, such as the PLAY:5, you can integrate Airplay into Sonos, here's how.
Badge +1
Thanks Jeff. Please do submit the AirPay feature request for me. I do hope that it will be considered and will be implemented sometime in the future.
Badge +1
Any update on this request? I would love to use my Play:1 speakers with Apple TV through AirPlay.
Thanks
Any update on this request? I would love to use my Play:1 speakers with Apple TV through AirPlay.
Thanks
I'm sorry, but Sonos will never comment on plans, but I would guess that Airplay support has never been less likely than it is now. There is absolutely no technical or commercial logic to doing this.
Badge +1
I'm sorry, but Sonos will never comment on plans, but I would guess that Airplay support has never been less likely than it is now. There is absolutely no technical or commercial logic to doing this.

I don't know what did you mean by the technical/commercial logic but I hope Sonos will at least consider the support in future products if the current products can't accommodate the AirpPlay support for some reason?

I don't know what did you mean by the technical/commercial logic but I hope Sonos will at least consider the support in future products if the current products can't accommodate the AirpPlay support for some reason?

Airplay uses 'Push" technology which has several detriments to reliability, in that you triple the bandwidth used, you have to rely on the mobile device to stream from, and it is well known to break up due to the lag present in the stream. Sonos has decided their "Pull" architecture, which uses far less bandwidth, and does not rely on a mobile device as a weak link in the chain, is far superior. The then CEO stated a few years back that Airplay is not supported for these reasons, and I see nothing since which tells me Sonos has changed its mind.