Question

Adding Wireless Speakers to Wired Home Audio System

• 17 February 2021
  • 1 reply

I have a Sony receiver/amp connect to four outdoor wired speakers. My spouse would like to add speakers inside the house (kitchen, den, etc) so that the music can play simultaneously throughout I have a bluetooth receiver connected to the amp so we can stream from our phones). What is going to be my best option to add wireless speakers to this system so that it will play and be in sync with the wired speakers? Should I invest the $$$ in a Sonos Amp or Port, or is there a less expensive option?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

If you go down the Sonos route then you need a Sonos Port to incorporate the existing amplifier and speakers.  Or a gen 2 Connect bought second hand would also work well and be significantly cheaper.  (Note: the Port has Airplay, the Connect doesn’t, which makes no difference to me but might matter to you,)  Then just buy whichever Sonos speakers you want for other rooms.

A cheaper alternative would be to wire an Echo Dot to your amplifier and buy Amazon Echo.  Sonos will give you better sound, ease of use, and flexibility, but at greater cost.  I think Sonos is worth the extra, but then I’m a Sonos fanboy.

Which music sources would you want to play?