Answered

Adding a turntable

• 24 January 2021
  • 4 replies

I have a beam and 2 Sonos one’s, all used with my tv.

I want to add a Technics SL1200 turntable, they don’t have a pre amp built in.

can anyone suggest the best way to add this turntable to my Sonos set up?

ive just bought a Sonos 5 thinking I could connect the turntable straight to it, then found out after that I need a turntable with a pre amp.

I don’t want to start buying too much else as it works out expensive. I can take the Sonos 5 back and get a refund, as it’s still boxed.

many thanks.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 24 January 2021, 16:57

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

The pre-amp issue is nothing to do with Sonos. To use your turntable with Sonos you just need to buy an external phono preamp. There is no way to play your turntable through Sonos without a preamp.

It doesn't have to be very expensive. 

Brilliant, thanks.

Instead of a pre amp, can I plug the turntable into a Sonos port or amp (if I return the 5) then use the beam and one’s for speakers. 
Sorry im still a bit new to Sonos, trying to get my head round the all the Sonos components.

many thanks 

No, any analog line in on a Sonos device is looking for a line level input. Your turntable puts out a phono level output, so a preamp is required to boost that signal to line level. 

Here is a good reference between Phono and Line levels.

Brilliant….. thanks buddy