Add a non-sonos wireless speaker to existing sonos system

• 31 January 2018
  • 6 replies

Hi

I have a full wireless sonos system at home using my wifi. I also have a wireless waterproof speaker that I'd like to have outside on the terrace. Can this be added to my sonos system without using cables? I have purchased a sonos zp90 to use my sonos system with a tv, but I don't know if this also can be used to add a non-sonos speaker without using cables?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Not really, no. Sonos uses a proprietary method of dealing with their wifi music, and you can't just "add" a non-Sonos speaker to their system. There's odd and expensive ways to deal with this, including the purchase of a CONNECT which has an analog out, which you could then connect to something that fed the wireless waterproof speaker, but that starts getting weird.
Thank you Bruce. I have just purchased a ZonePlayer90 which I believe is almost the same as a Connect. What sort of thing would it be that feeds the wireless speaker from here? And does it help that the outdoors speaker also has a bluetooth connectivitiy option?
Thank you Bruce. I have just purchased a ZonePlayer90 which I believe is almost the same as a Connect. What sort of thing would it be that feeds the wireless speaker from here? And does it help that the outdoors speaker also has a bluetooth connectivitiy option?

You would need a Bluetooth transmitter that connects to the Line-Out on the ZP90. Note, Bluetooth range is very limited, about 33 ft at max. If your outdoor speaker is more than around 25-30 ft from the ZP90, you probably aren't going to get them to connect.
Up to 50 m/150 feet with one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N2VKCO0

IME it has comparable range/penetration to, say, a BOOST.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
This looks like a good transmitter with newest range enhancements. Comes with cable which can connect the ZP90 analog or optical out.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0757F93LV?ref=emc_b_5_i
Thank you very much guys, that's great advice on how to incorporate my terrace into the sonos family!