A Little What If Question, Sonos Ray and Computer

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

It was talked about this product, if it is as described in the leaks, being a good secondary/small tv as well as potentially a rear surround instead of Ones. However, I am wondering if it would be a good computer speaker as well you would just need an optical to headphone jack converter which would be wildly available. Thoughts?

4 replies

‘wildly available’?  I like that typo.

I think the answer depends greatly on the sound quality of the speaker.  I mean, you can obviously get a pair of computer speakers below $250, so Ray would need to sound better for that application (listener ins a couple feet away) to make sense.   Sonos ability to streaming music directly, or grouped for multiroom audio...is less likely to be useful in this situation.

I’m sure some will use it as a computer speaker, same as the Beam is used, but hard to tell if it’s going to marketed and heavily used for this task.

Personally, I don’t use a PC for anything that would require good audio, so it’s a no for me.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

Ok, available on Amazon. Is that better? As far as use. My 27” computer monitor is also a streaming tv for me so I am just wondering if their is value upgrading my set of computer speakers and then freeing up my two Sonos Play 1s for a different room. Killing 2 birds with one stone or in this case 4 speakers with 1 Ray. I would assume a set of Play 1s in stereo is going to sound better, much I think but more about the flexibility. 

Ok, available on Amazon. Is that better?

I was just implying that I think you meant widely, as in many different place, not wildly, as in out of control.

As far as use. My 27” computer monitor is also a streaming tv for me so I am just wondering if their is value upgrading my set of computer speakers and then freeing up my two Sonos Play 1s for a different room. Killing 2 birds with one stone or in this case 4 speakers with 1 Ray. I would assume a set of Play 1s in stereo is going to sound better, much I think but more about the flexibility. 

That scenario makes a lot more sense than mine. I Possibly worth preordering and giving it a go, return if it doesn’t work out.

The Ray isn’t a nearfield monitor, so it’s difficult to imagine it would be a good fit.  Get a good pair of powered studio monitors, like the JBL 305P MK IIs; you’ll have much better results than trying to shoehorn a soundbar where it was never meant to be.