Answered

5.1 TV wiring

• 18 January 2021
  • 2 replies

Hi, I'm moving into a property which has 5 sonos in ceiling speakers in a room.   Left, center, right and two rear.  No amp is currently connected.   I Intend to use tv arc port on sonos amp as part of a 5.0/5.1 configuration.  How many sonos amps are  needed to create 5.1 configuration and how should each speaker be wired?  Ie how is the Center phantom speaker wired? 

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 18 January 2021, 21:43

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Sonos doesn’t make ceiling speakers.  They are Sonance speakers?  Either way, you can use amp equipment with them, they are not limited to Sonos.  To answer your question though, a single amp covers the 2 front speakers with a phantom center channel.  Phantom, as in there isn’t actually a center speaker used.  None of the Sonos products could be used to power your existing center speaker.  A second Amp would be used for the two rear surround speakers.

If I had these existing speakers, I would do one of three options.  A - ignore them, as ceiling speakers are not good for home theatre. B - Use a different brand receiver to power the speakers.  Get a Sonos port to connect it to a Sonos system if you wish.  C- Use the ceiling speakers, but only for music.  Get a single amp connected to 4 of the 5 speakers, and then get a Sonos Arc, Ones, and Sub for TV audio.

Many thanks for the reply, and correction - it is a Sonance speaker.  Those options give me some clarity.  I’m liking option B which I’ll look into further.  I appreciate the advice - thank-you.