Answered

4 sonance ceiling speakers without Arc

• 1 March 2022
  • 3 replies

My wife doesn’t like the look of a sound bar like the Arc. Can I get surround sound with 2 pairs (4 total) sonance ceiling speakers and a Sub all connected through an Amp?

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 1 March 2022, 21:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

Yes, but you would need two Amps for this setup. One Amp would power the two front speakers and one Amp would power the two surround speakers. With the Sub, this would give you a 4.1 home theater setup with a phantom center channel. But this setup is limited to Dolby Digital and DTS Digital Surround audio. The Amp doesn’t support Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, or multichannel PCM audio like the Arc or Beam (Gen 2).

FYI… in-ceiling speakers are usually not recommended for the two front channel speakers. A better option would be two in-wall speakers like this:

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/wall-speaker-pair

@Tfurey58,
I appreciate that it’s ‘each to their own’, but having 4 ceiling speakers, as you mention, means the dialogue (for example) will also be coming from the direction of the ceiling - I think I would probably find that quite strange whilst watching a person speaking on a TV screen across the room, as I would expect the audio to come from their direction. So it’s worth considering such things, before purchase.

Userlevel 7

Wives...always spoiling the fun :sweat_smile: