Answered

2 speakers not connected

• 29 December 2021
  • 4 replies

I currently do not own any sono’s products, but am looking to invest in some. Here is my situation/set up. I just got a new Rega Planar 1 Plus turntable (with built in phono stage), and want to get some speakers for it.

I have a fire place with book shelves on both sides. My turntable is on the right side, and I would like to get a set of speakers so I have one speaker on the left side of the fireplace and one on the right side of the fire place - so...I need 2 speakers that do not have to physically connect to one another. Both speakers can be physically plugged into the wall no problem (I have an outlet on both sides of the fireplace) but I need speakers that will sync/”talk to each other” without being physically connected. Does Sonos have any speaker sets like this? 

My turntable is not bluetooth enabled, so one of the speakers would have to connect directly to my turntable, and then “talk to” the other speaker not connected to the turntable. Is this possible with Sonos as well? 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 29 December 2021, 20:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

All Sonos speakers “talk to each other” via a radio signal. Since one of those speakers needs to have a line in, your best bet would be a pair of Sonos Fives. Connect the turntable to a pre-amp, and the pre-amp to the line in on the back of one of the Sonos Fives, and you have a stereo set of speakers playing your turntable. 

All Sonos speakers “talk to each other” via a radio signal. Since one of those speakers needs to have a line in, your best bet would be a pair of Sonos Fives. Connect the turntable to a pre-amp, and the pre-amp to the line in on the back of one of the Sonos Fives, and you have a stereo set of speakers playing your turntable. 

Thanks Bruce - do I need a pre-amp since I already have one built in to the turn table? Or can I connect the Sonos 5 directly to my turntable? Also for a more economically friendly option, would this also work with the 2 Room Set with One SL?

Ah, if there’s one built in to the turntable, just make sure it’s turned on to “Line” rather than “Phono” and you should be able to plug it straight in to the Sonos Five, using an appropriate RCA to headphone jack cable. 

No, the One SL does not have a line in. Which is why you require either the Five(s) or a Sonos Port, both of which do have the line in to plug in the Turntable. If you went with the Port, you could then use any Sonos speaker pair, and not have them physically connected to the turntable, which would need to be plugged in to the Port directly. There’s a rather long thread around here for connecting turntables, you may want to look for it. 

And having said that...I can’t find it either. I’ll keep looking and post a link when/if I can find it.