2 Play 5s(gen 2) + 2 Play Ones VS. 4 Play Ones + Sub

• 14 February 2018
  • 3 replies

Hi! I recently purchased a 2nd gen Play 5 for an open-concept living room/dining room/kitchen, about 25'X40'. I then decided the pull the trigger on getting a 2nd Play 5 and also 2 Play Ones, with a plan of having these in the four corners of the space (they haven't arrived yet). I'm curious to get people's take on this set up vs ditching the 5s and instead having 4 ones/1s + a sub.

I listened to the ones/1s and 5s side-by-side before purchasing and really liked the sound of the 5s more, the depth was great, the ones/1s sounded kind of incomplete to me. I mostly listen to music at < 1/2 volume and while I care about some bass, I prioritize clean, room-filling music over loud.

Curious to hear people's take on what they'd do!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

I have a friend who has a sub with a stereo pair of Play Ones and my opinion is that it sounds mis-matched. While the sub is amazing and I will hopefully get one soon, our Play 5 as a stereo pair out play his set up hands down. Ironically our Play 5s (in our kitchen) are what blew him away and started him on his Sonos journey.
Userlevel 7
Recommend setting the Play 5's in stereo pair. Strategically place the Play 1's in areas where you feel the sound weakens (fades) coming from the Play 5's.
Thanks for th feedback! I think I’ll stick with my plan to have 5s and ones in the same large space instead of just going all ones and a sub. Will be fun to hear the result!