Answered

Move wont coonect to bluetooth unless I am at least 3m(10ft) away

I have had quite a few issues with connect to my move from my Iphone X via Bluetooth.

I finally managed to connect , after several resets of my Move and Iphone,  by being at least 3 m away .

Then the sound ( via deezer app ) would either not play or kept cutting out .  This was  resolved by keeping my iphone at least  6 m  20 ft away from the move.

How can this be resolved as its not practical tokeep mt phone away for the move .

icon

Best answer by Mikejt26 29 April 2021, 23:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

I have had quite a few issues with connect to my move from my Iphone X via Bluetooth.

I finally managed to connect , after several resets of my Move and Iphone,  by being at least 3 m away .

Then the sound ( via deezer app ) would either not play or kept cutting out .  This was  resolved by keeping my iphone at least  6 m  20 ft away from the move.

How can this be resolved as its not practical tokeep mt phone away for the move .

Check which router WiFi band (and channel) that the ‘Move’ is using from your router? Check your router configuration pages to see its connection.

If the Move is on the 2.4Ghz band, then perhaps consider switching it to the 5Ghz band to reduce the potential interference with the Bluetooth signal.

To keep the Move connected to that 5Ghz band, you could (if necessary) switch your ‘other’ Sonos devices over to SonosNet, by wiring one product to the router and removing the 2.4Ghz band credentials from the Sonos App in "Settings/System/Network/Manage Networks”, If necessary, but don’t forget to set the SonosNet channel in the Sonos App so that it is at least 5 channels away from your chosen Routers 2.4Ghz channel.

On a side-note I recommend using a fixed 2.4Ghz non-overlapping router WiFi channel of 1, 6 or 11 too and set a channel-width of 20MHz. If the Bluetooth issue persists, you can always change the router’s 2.4Ghz and SonosNet channels, but just keep them 5 channels apart from each other.

Also the 5Ghz channel can be changed too on the router, but that’s unlikely to have any bearing on the Bluetooth connection as it’s more likely the 2.4Ghz band will interfere.

Hope that assists.

Hi Ken ,

Thanks for the reply , unfortunately, the problem occurs when connected to Bluetooth. 

I have no issues with the move or any of my Sonos speakers over my wifi . 

cheers 

Hi Ken ,

Thanks for the reply , unfortunately, the problem occurs when connected to Bluetooth. 

I have no issues with the move or any of my Sonos speakers over my wifi . 

cheers 

Yes, I completely realise that and my earlier reply is aimed at reducing interference from the 2.4Ghz WiFi band, which is the most likely cause of any interference to your local Bluetooth signal.

Mikejt26,

See also this link and how bluetooth also uses the 2.4Ghz band:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201542

My suggestion is to reduce the 2.4Ghz interference and move the ‘Move’ to the 5Ghz band instead… to improve the Bluetooth connection.

Thanks ken 

I understand your point now . 
I should say that I have been trying the move ,on Bluetooth, in the garden . 
In the house the move automatically connects to 5 ghz , I already have the 2.4ghz connected to channel 11 . 
my arc connects at 2.4 wm1 with the surrounds on 5ghz wm2 

I will take the move out of range of wifi and check if it’s a wifi interference  issue  first . 
thanks for the info . 

Maybe consider trying another Bluetooth mobile transmitter device too, in place of your iPhone X, just to rule that out as playing a role in the problem you are seeing.

edit: Perhaps see this link too:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/fix-iphone-bluetooth-not-working/

Hi all 

I am 99% certain this is a hardware issue with the Sonos Move.

to connect with an iPhone X ,iPhone 6 or an Amazon fire 8 tablet I need to be at least 8 metres away from the move , For it to play the sound I need to be 10 meters plus then move towards the Sonos where it will actually play with out dropping the signal . 

How do I send it back to Sonos under warranty ? 

Hi all 

I am 99% certain this is a hardware issue with the Sonos Move.

to connect with an iPhone X ,iPhone 6 or an Amazon fire 8 tablet I need to be at least 8 metres away from the move , For it to play the sound I need to be 10 meters plus then move towards the Sonos where it will actually play with out dropping the signal . 

How do I send it back to Sonos under warranty ? 

Perhaps first submit a diagnostic report and post it’s reference back here and then contact Sonos Support via this LINK. Hope you get the matter resolved.

Contacted Sonos support, earlier this evening, via chat and my replacement move will soon be here . 
Brilliant service from Ana C.

Thanks also to Ken Griffiths for his advice and help . 

Badge +17

@Mikejt26 Thanks for your kind words on the service provided by Ana! I’ve passed them on to her :slight_smile: