Mesh and Sonos Connection Issues

• 4 October 2020
  • 9 replies

Hi,

I’ve recently bought a Linksys mesh system using an MX5300 node connected to my modem and two further nodes connected to the MX5300. I also have a Sonos Move and Play 3 and Play 5 (Gen 1).

These all got along fine until I installed the mesh system. After spending all day trying to set up I now have the Move working through the Sonos 2 app although Alexa acknowledges but won’t play radio stations. At various times the Play 3 and 5 have been recognised but now aren’t.

I realise this is something to do with the various wifi networks/settings and not helped by the Play 5 being Gen 1 but seeing as they all worked together before I can’t see why I cannot get them to work now. The Sonos 1 app says to set up a separate system but whenever I reset it to try to use Sonos1 it just goes back to saying the app needs to be updated to Sonos 2.

I also realise Sonos only works on 2.4Ghz. I can’t connect either 3 or 5 directly to the Mx5300. All help appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

In general, due to the rather large amount of inter communication between Sonos speakers, and the common way mesh networks tend to work (but not all), Sonos doesn’t always work well with other common meshes. Sonos tends to recommend running in a ‘wired’ or ‘SonosNet’ system, where one Sonos device, usually a BOOST,  or any Sonos speaker, is wired to the ‘base’ puck of your WiFi, so that your system is running separately from your mesh network.

So I would recommend at least testing your system by wiring a Sonos device to the root MX3500, and give your system a few minutes to recognize the change before doing extensive testing. If that works, then you can consider whether you want to keep a regular Sonos device connected to that router, or purchase a BOOST to serve that function.

If that does fix the problem, I’d encourage you to remove your own network information from the Sonos controller, so there’s no potential for ‘confusion’.

Thanks for your reply and reinforced what I already suspected.

If I purchased a BOOST would it work with all my system ie Move, Play 3 and old Play5 (Gen 1)?

Many thanks

Yes, the BOOST can run either S1 or S2 and provide a signal to all Sonos devices, except the Sonos Move.

Just for interest Ive just had a discussion with Sonos support regarding various issues and during that conversation I was told that Sonos ‘wont work with Mesh networks’. Sounds like the advice to move to the Sonos’s own integrated network is a good one where possible.  Im hugely surprised that Sonos hasn't addressed this with the growing popularity of Mesh installations.

Just for interest Ive just had a discussion with Sonos support regarding various issues and during that conversation I was told that Sonos ‘wont work with Mesh networks’. Sounds like the advice to move to the Sonos’s own integrated network is a good one where possible.  Im hugely surprised that Sonos hasn't addressed this with the growing popularity of Mesh installations.

This is really disheartening to hear from manufacturers of speakers & system that tout, specifically, wifi connectivity. I have Hue bulbs and Lutron switches, Harmony remotes, Ring security(z-wave) and cameras (wifi)...and none of them have an issue with my mesh network...only Sonos.

I have been struggling really hard with my Sonos system and mesh network. In case it helps others, I will describe my issues, my network, and attempts to resolve my issues.

My network & Sonos:

• Asus GT-AX11000 (main router - 2nd floor)
    • Arc, Sub, 3 play 1s, Connect
  • Asus RT-AX92U (mesh node 2 - 1st floor)
    • Move
  • Asus RT-AX92U (mesh node 2 - 3rd floor)
    • 2 Play 1s

What I am experiencing:

• Frequent interruptions and disconnects / intermittent audio on every speaker throughout the home
  • Sonos mobile app showing different available speakers on the network vs. desktop app
  • Sonos speakers randomly disappearing from either Sonos app
  • Alexa unable to control other smart home devices through Sonos

Initial network setup: NOPE

• Entire mesh network in tri-band smart connect
  • No devices manually linked to router or mesh nodes

Current setup: STILL NOPE...but a little better

• Separate wifi networks for each frequency (2.4Ghz, 5GHz-1, 5GHz-2)
  • All Sonos devices connected to 2.4Ghz network
  • All Sonos devices (within acceptable range) connected to main router
    • All other Sonos devices permanently linked to nodes with strongest signal

It’s still a mess. Even with the adjustments. If my control devices (tablet/phone/laptop) are on the 5Ghz network, controlling the Sonos becomes incredibly delayed. If I move all of those devices over to the 2.4Ghz network it does slightly improve but not enough. Also, I shouldn’t have to do this to begin with.

Overall...I’m pretty bummed. This product is fairly expensive and can’t seemingly deliver on the thing that really sets it apart from others.

I have hopes that future updates will address these issues but it’s truly disappointing that it’s struggling so hard to deliver on a cornerstone of it’s brand - wifi connectivity. 

I certainly won’t be purchasing ANOTHER piece of hardware from Sonos to make it work. That is fully absurd. I’ve dumped thousands into Sonos expecting it to work as advertised and your solution is “spend more and maybe it’ll work”? Get outta here

UPDATE and Fix: Connected Sonos Arc to main router with ethernet cable and now the entire system works flawlessly.

While this is a “fix” it was nowhere in the setup instructions, warnings, or guided solutions to connection problems anywhere in any application. I also maintain that Sonos should play with mesh networks out of the box. 

Sonos development team: please address this glaring issue. It’s only going to become more prevalent. 

This is really disheartening to hear from manufacturers of speakers & system that tout, specifically, wifi connectivity. I have Hue bulbs and Lutron switches, Harmony remotes, Ring security(z-wave) and cameras (wifi)...and none of them have an issue with my mesh network...only Sonos.

I have been struggling really hard with my Sonos system and mesh network. In case it helps others, I will describe my issues, my network, and attempts to resolve my issues.

My network & Sonos:

• Asus GT-AX11000 (main router - 2nd floor)
    • Arc, Sub, 3 play 1s, Connect
  • Asus RT-AX92U (mesh node 2 - 1st floor)
    • Move
  • Asus RT-AX92U (mesh node 2 - 3rd floor)
    • 2 Play 1s

What I am experiencing:

• Frequent interruptions and disconnects / intermittent audio on every speaker throughout the home
  • Sonos mobile app showing different available speakers on the network vs. desktop app
  • Sonos speakers randomly disappearing from either Sonos app
  • Alexa unable to control other smart home devices through Sonos

Initial network setup: NOPE

• Entire mesh network in tri-band smart connect
  • No devices manually linked to router or mesh nodes

Current setup: STILL NOPE...but a little better

• Separate wifi networks for each frequency (2.4Ghz, 5GHz-1, 5GHz-2)
  • All Sonos devices connected to 2.4Ghz network
  • All Sonos devices (within acceptable range) connected to main router
    • All other Sonos devices permanently linked to nodes with strongest signal

It’s still a mess. Even with the adjustments. If my control devices (tablet/phone/laptop) are on the 5Ghz network, controlling the Sonos becomes incredibly delayed. If I move all of those devices over to the 2.4Ghz network it does slightly improve but not enough. Also, I shouldn’t have to do this to begin with.

Overall...I’m pretty bummed. This product is fairly expensive and can’t seemingly deliver on the thing that really sets it apart from others.

I have hopes that future updates will address these issues but it’s truly disappointing that it’s struggling so hard to deliver on a cornerstone of it’s brand - wifi connectivity. 

I certainly won’t be purchasing ANOTHER piece of hardware from Sonos to make it work. That is fully absurd. I’ve dumped thousands into Sonos expecting it to work as advertised and your solution is “spend more and maybe it’ll work”? Get outta here

One more update - I heard from support and there could also be an issue with ASUS specific mesh systems and Sonos.

More information here: 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sonos can probably be compatible with any mesh system if you are willing to dial back the mesh features to a level Sonos can support.

I looked into that and didn’t want to take the performance and feature hit that would impact all my other WiFi clients and took my Sonos off the WiFi to SonosNet and am far happier.

I’d suggest that as a first option to anyone. Wire a single Sonos device to your main switch and get it working and you’ll likely be happy. You can usually wire more than one device and increase stability, some tweaks on advanced networks may be needed.

I also had connectivity issues with my Sonos setup. All was working well with my ARC and Move using a Linksys Velop AX4200 for wifi mesh...until I decided adding a new Sonos Sub. First, It took me like 30 essays to connect the sub, including 40 minutes with Sonos tech support who told me to pass my wifi just through the mesh, It sounded complicated so I just kept trying the connection until finally got it...until next day when my 3 Sonos devices where out.

The solution: using the Linksys app I set my mesh as Bridge, then I unplugged and rebooted everything (not factory reset). I 1st turned on my ISP modem, 2nd the Linksys mesh router, 3rd the ARC, 4th Sub, 5th Move, then I opened the Sonos app and was able to connect everything...so far all good.

It seems that if no bridging is used, the signals from the ISP router and the mesh router confuse the Sonos system.