Answered

Which Sonos speaker is Louder? The Sonos Five or the Sonos Outdoor Speaker

• 26 December 2022
  • 5 replies

Hello Sonos Community, I am considering between purchasing the Sonos Five and the Sonos architecture Outdoor speakers. Though I originally was looking for outdoor audio, I went to a shop and heard the Sonos Five audio and was wow’d. Does the Sonos Outdoor speaker, paired with the Sonos amp, deliver similar or better sound when compared to the Five?

icon

Best answer by Jamie A 30 December 2022, 17:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @Blue Toyz, welcome to the Sonos Community!

Both of those speakers have different main uses, but if you’re looking for the best sound experience, the Five is definitely the way to go between the two.

The Outdoor speakers have 1 woofer and 1 tweeter, while the Five has 3 woofers and 3 tweeters, giving way to better performance and sound quality. I’d recommend the outdoor speakers over the Five if you’re looking to have fixed speakers for an outdoor environment, as the Five is not weatherproof, but if you’re looking to keep them inside, the Five is the way to go. 

I hope this information helps!

Badge +2

I had originally planned to buy the outdoor speakers but since I don't plan to leave them outside permanently I also wonder if I should buy the Sonos 5 instead.
Will the Sonos 5 be damaged if it's exposed to any amount of water?

Hi @Sonny.Ade,

I can’t speak on behalf of the Sonos 5 but I can on the Sonia outdoor speakers. I eventually purchased the outdoor speakers ( which also required the amp). They are a good speaker for all whether conditions but also often require some cable management.

the Sonos Five are only humidity resistant, so unless you will be using under a covered area outside, you may want to consider other options.

I played around with the Sonos Five at Best Buy, and it truly was a great speaker. Also consider that it is cheaper to buy and pair two Sonos Fives over buying the outdoor speaker and the necessary amp used for the speaker.

I ended up using the outdoor speakers as part of my outdoor theatre set up, and would connect audio via hdmi to a projector. The speaker was reliable in all ( and I do mean all) weather conditions and produced  excellent sound. I would say it all comes down to where you plan on using the speakers, in what weather conditions will the speaker be exposed to, and lastly, how much you are willing to spend

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I can recommend maybe getting a pair of Sonos Moves.  I actually prefer the sound of these outdoors to Fives and they have the advantage of weatherproofing, drop resistance and battery play capability.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Get an AMP and klipsch aw650 speakers. They are louder and more crisp. I have both, and the 5s can’t touch the klipsch. And it’ll be cheaper.