When on Vacation

• 4 April 2024
  • 7 replies

When I take a long vacation, I leave my Sonos speakers plugged in.  Is that OK

7 replies

I think it’s a good idea to unplug all unnecessary, high priced electronics. This will eliminate the risk of damage from a power grid fault or nearby lightning strike.

But it’s also OK, as Sonos equipment automatically goes into low power mode after a few minutes of non-use. 

We leave our Sonos speakers on when away from the Home, as they play a small role in our Home security when in sleep mode, as both motion detectors (HomePass Sense) and also for sounding an intruder alarm (Hue Sensors/Lights & Alexa Routines).

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

A week, probably not.

A month and I’ll power down a lot of stuff on top of the Sonos.

A week, probably not.

A month and I’ll power down a lot of stuff on top of the Sonos.

I agree; I do this even for a week. Everything except the fridges perhaps. Reducing power bills is bottom of the list of reasons for doing so.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Think green… everything big starts with the small things. I remove my devices including Sonos from power, if I don’t use them for about 5 days. The ones I rarely use are unplugged by standard and I just turn them on when using them. E. g. my rearspeakers or the one in the guest room. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Don’t bother. It’s all plugged in when you are there, makes no difference if you are not there.