Skip to main content
Answered

Very underwhelmed with Sub Mini

• 19 July 2024
  • 2 replies

Today I added a Sub Mini to a pair of ERA100s and am surprised by how lackluster this speaker is. Our bedroom is quite small—about 10’x11’—and being familiar with subwoofers, I expected to hear some major bass. The Sub Mini is kind of in a corner and when I brought it out a couple of feet, didn’t hear a difference. I tried different kinds of music, including some electronic dub music that’s heavy on the bass. I also made sure one of the open areas of the speaker was facing forward.

Even more surprising, when I made adjustments using the Sonos app on my iPhone, I could hear no difference at all. I turned the Sub Mini up as far as it would go, no difference. I tried to switch the phase from 0 to 180, and this button doesn’t work at all. And then when I removed the Sub Mini from the system while it was playing music, I closed my eyes and waited to hear a difference. But I could discern none. 

So what is going on? The Sub Mini is working. I verified this by putting my leaning down right in front of the speaker.

Either the new version of the Sonos app doesn’t have full functionality with the Sub Mini. Or something else is going on. I’d love to hear theories. Otherwise, this goes back to Amazon because it is pointless to have it.

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi @ghulse , thanks for reaching out, and sorry to hear you have not received the experience you hoped for with your new Sub Mini.

I can confirm that our development team is aware of - and investigating - an issue where the Sonos App on iOS devices is not able to properly affect changes to Sub settings. This should be addressed in a future update, in the meantime one possible workaround would be to temporarily use or borrow an Android device running the Sonos App to set the Sub Mini to the desired level. I hope this information helps!

I suspected the Sonos app wasn’t communicating with the Sub Mini properly, but your confirmation comes far too late. I have already returned the speaker! Cheers.