Answered

use system in two locations

• 16 January 2023
  • 7 replies

I have a system in my house with 4 play5 speakers and 5 play3 speakers and want to use one of the play3 speakers in my second home using the same play list and the same mobile iphone. Can this be done and if so what do i need to do.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 17 January 2023, 00:21

View original

7 replies

Yes, and no. You can move whichever speakers you want to the new location, and as long as you don’t reset them, they’ll have the same playlists. But if we’re talking about Sonos playlist, they are stored locally, and not in the cloud, they’ll begin to diverge. Any changes you make to a Sonos playlist in one location will not carry over to the other. 

The caveat is if you’re using playlist stored by a streaming company, they’re stored in the cloud, and any changes would be carried across both systems.

To make life easier for you, I’d encourage the use of the same SSID and password in both locations, it would make connection easier. Your controller will just connect to each system as it is on the network. 

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for getting back. My second house is in Spain and i’ll be on a different network to the one in England, will that still be OK. I’m with Napster as the provider.

I’m in Spain and have tried to open the system via the Sonos App on my iphone but come up with “Sonos not found on this WiFi:, Do i need a second booster which i have.

Dave

Hi. If you have a Boost wired to your router in your main home it is possible that you don't have any WiFi details in your system.  If that is the case, I suggest you temporarily connect your speaker by Ethernrt to your router in Spain, then go to Settings, System, Network, Manage Networks and enter the network SSID and password.

You can then disconnect the cable.

Bruce suggested an alternative of changing the SSID and password for you Spanish WiFi to match those on your home network. This would require you  to make changes on any other devices connected to your Spanish network. That will work if the network credentials are already in Sonos. 

Thanks for your help, i’m up and running all sounds good.

Just need a second play 3 speaker to get the full affect….any ideas where i can get on in Spain.

Dave

PLAY:3s haven’t been manufactured in years and years. I’d be looking at eBay, although I suppose their could be old stock on some small electronics reseller, but that’s hard to track down, since most of those smaller companies don’t maintain a good inventory system online. 

Hi Bruce,

Thanks, I’ll have a look on eBay and see what’s about.

Thanks again for all your help.

Dave

If I could spare one of my stereo pair…. :)