Answered

unable to play radio/music from sonos app

• 30 September 2023
  • 9 replies

Hi all,

in the last few days I’m not able to play radio stations (“unable to play Radio station) or music from YouTube (not encoded correctly) from within the Sonos app. 

if I use Alexa I have no issues and can play music (from free Amazon as YouTube doesn’t play nicely with Alexa) and radio stations. I can even see that playing in the app and can stop the music.

I have reinstalled the app but no luck.

unfortunately I work during the week and can’t talk to agents as they only work Mon-Fri.

any ideas?

Thanks,

icon

Best answer by Sotiris C. 2 October 2023, 15:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hello @nmurray83, welcome to Sonos Community!

How exactly are you listening to Radio stations in the Sonos App? If you have a Radio station in your Sonos Favorites, I would suggest removing it from there, look it up via Sonos search and re-add to favorites. Sometimes radio stations change their URL. By occasionally refreshing your favorite Radio stations, you can ensure to always have the correct link.

Re-installing the Sonos app wouldn’t change this behavior, I would suggest re-authorizing YouTube Music, that could help. Also make sure your Sonos controller (smartphone/tablet) is up to date, along with the Sonos app and your Sonos speakers.

A network refresh always helps, starting with a reboot of your Router → Sonos speakers → Sonos controllers.

I understand that it can be difficult contacting our Sonos Support via phone during working hours, you could give our chat a try. Don’t forget to Submit Diagnostics within 10 minutes of experiencing those issues and note the number down.

Feel free to reply here with the diagnostics number as well or with any further question you might have.

I hope this helps.

I have the same problem and have tried adding stations to favourites again but get the same message as with existing favourites: “Unable to play ‘ABC Illawarra’ - the song is not encoded properly”. 
No problems with streaming spotify files. 

Can we assume that this ‘ABC Illawarra’ song is on Apple Music? There’s already a thread about the Apple Music issue, if it’s not, you may want to tell us where you’re getting this ‘not encoded properly” message. 

No, it’s a live streaming station from Australia’s national broadcaster, https://www.abc.net.au/listen/live/illawarra

Interesting. Without doing a ton of investigation, it seems like that may be a stream type that Sonos doesn’t read. Have you tried to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it? 

Hi Bruce, no I haven’t yet. It’s been working fine for a few years, as have streams from other broadcasters (e.g. BBC) - none of the radio stations work today (and nothing has been changed). 

… and yes I’ve rebooted router and uninstalled/reinstalled Sonos on Mac and iPhone… 

Hence why calling them makes sense. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Iam also getting “song not encoded correctly” when using youtube music.

Generally sonos will play first track of an album ok, then error on a few, play a few seconds of another etc etc

very frustrating!!

Radio streams ok

Anybody know what causes this?