Answered

Unable to connect Sonos 5 (2nd gen)

• 5 November 2022
  • 5 replies

Hi.

I gave my daughter my Sonos 5 for her to use but she’s unable to connect to her WiFi.

She has tried everything that’s been suggested but still no success. She has even gone back to factory reset but with no joy. All she gets is ‘router not found’ even with an Ethernet cable.

What is she doing wrong please?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 6 November 2022, 15:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

What router/WiFi setup is she using? Brand name and models might assist to allow some suggestions that she can perhaps consider. I assume she is the owner/administrator on the network? Does she have other Sonos products already connected?

Hi Ken.

She has Virgin Media hub 4 router and has 2 x Play 1 connected at the moment.  Thanks 

@pingwing54,
Was the Play:5 (Gen 2) perhaps originally setup on the S2 App and your daughter is using S1? If so, then she first needs to either upgrade her setup to S2, or she needs to downgrade the Play:5 to S1.

See these links:

However, if all are on the same Sonos system (S1 or S2) then try this. 

With the Play:5 powered off …Cable one of the Play:1’s to the VM router and power cycle the other Play:1 and just ensure both are showing in the Sonos App.

Now wire the Play:5 to the router aswell and factory reset as mentioned in this link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1096

And post reset, with its status LED flashing green, using the App, goto ‘Settings/Add Product’ and follow the on-screen instructions to setup the Play:5 speaker.

Once it’s setup, all should then work uncabled (hopefully), but if she still has issues, then ask your daughter to wire it to the router again and add her WiFi network to the Play:5 speaker by following the instructions in this link (see the section entitled ‘Switch to a wireless setup’). Hopefully this step will not be required and I’m just including it to perhaps assist:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3209

An alternative is to leave one of the setup speakers wired to the router, but ensure it is set at least one metre away from the router to prevent any interference.

Hope the above assists.

Hi again Ken,

We tried all of your suggestions but still no joy in getting the play 5 up and running. We get this far (photo attached) but the speaker never shows in System.

The volume buttons make a noise when touched, but nothing appears in the S2 app which the other speakers are set up to. 

Perhaps try powering it off/on again whilst still it’s still wired to the VM Hub4 router and with a bit of luck it will appear in the Sonos App as an ‘unnamed room’. Select it and look for the ‘spanner’/‘wrench’ icon and follow that to complete the setup… if it doesn’t appear then see if a reboot of the router will cause it to show up.