Answered

trueplay + 2nd sound profile

• 28 August 2023
  • 9 replies

Badge +4

I have Trueplay setup, but I also would like a second sound profile. I notice when I manipulate the EQs, it affects my Trueplay sound. Is there a way to have one profile be just Trueplay and the other a completely different sound profile?

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 29 August 2023, 01:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7

Other than toggling Trueplay on and off, there isn’t a way to save multiple sound profiles within the Sonos app. But you could use a third-party app like Soro on an iOS device in conjunction with Apple’s Shortcuts app and create multiple preset EQ settings (with or without Trueplay enabled) and save them as shortcuts.

Badge +4

I'm fine with turning Trueplay off, but the issue is that when I manipulate the EQ setting, it's applying them to Trueplay. I want it to lock the Trueplay settings and then if I turn it off, it should use the manually set EQ settings. Anything else doesn't make sense.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Only one set of trueplay and tone controls is saved so you can’t have a second profile.

Technically, there’s enough memory for two different sets of settings, one with TruePlay on, one with it off. There’s just not enough space for more than that. But if you adjust settings with TruePlay on, it should remember them when you flip TruePlay on or off.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

A bit confused now. Do your tone controls change when switching TruePlay on and off or after running the calibration tones? I have tried switching TruePlay on and off uses the same tone control settings either way.

No idea how Sonos stores the settings. It does seem though that they have a storage spot for TruePlay settings and a second spot for the tone control settings as the settings seem to be independent of each other.

Having two stored tone control settings for TruePlay on and off might make a feature request if there is enough interest.

I’m house sitting, so I can’t re-test this, but as I recall, it saved the non-TruePlay and the TruePlay version, but will certainly bow to actual experimentation. 

Badge +4

Technically, there’s enough memory for two different sets of settings, one with TruePlay on, one with it off. There’s just not enough space for more than that. But if you adjust settings with TruePlay on, it should remember them when you flip TruePlay on or off.

The issue is I want one profile that is pure Trueplay with nothing EQ’d or changed. Then I want another profile that has nothing to do with Trueplay and is EQ’d to my preferences. So Trueplay “on” would be exactly that, and Trueplay off would be a custom EQ.

What's happening is any EQ I make, whether Trueplay is on or not when I make the changes, is affecting Trueplay. So if I change the sub to +6 with Trueplay off, that +6 will stay added to Trueplay when I turn it on. That's silly and not what I want.

Then it’s likely not to be able to maintain that much memory / storage space in the RAM of all devices, and since the firmware in use across each is mostly the same, it is unlikely that you’ll get your desire, at least immediately. Honestly, I thought that was already the way it worked, but both you and @Stanley_4  have proven my assumptions incorrect, and given that I’m housesitting away from my own system, I can’t intelligently refute. Perhaps if you were to make this a feature request, it might go on some list of things to do….but I’m thinking if, and this is merely an assumption, that there is already memory concerns around storing both TruePlay and non-TruePlay settings, it may no be coming ‘soon’. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

It would be a good feature request.

What settings would you like to have in TruePlay and non-TruePlay modes?

EQ

• Bass, Treble, Loudness

Sub

• Level and phase

Surround Audio

• TV and Music levels
  • Full / Ambient
  • The Surround Distance is disabled in TruePlay mode, and it looks like the manual settings are restored if TruePlay is switched off.