Skip to main content
Answered

Three Room grouping issue (could be app update related) ...

• 27 June 2024
  • 7 replies

All … basic Sonos app grouping question. So, app functionality seems to have broken since the update. Here is my setup. (3) Rooms.  Room (1) Living Room with Sonos Arc, Sub, and Left/Right One SL surrounds.  Room (2) Office1 with a single One SL.  Room (3) Office2 with a single One SL.  So, while streaming Pandora music from my Smart TV in the living room, all seems ok in Room (1).  But, if I try to group in Office1 and Office2 to listen to the same music, everything goes silent and I lose control of where the Pandora output is pointed.  The only way to remedy change the grouping to the Living Room, shutting off my TV and turning back on.  In the past, I could easily add/remove rooms from the group and the music would stream perfectly fine.  Thoughts on why this is?  Do I need to re-set up all my room configurations since the app updates?  Any advice would be appreciated!  Thanks all! 

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

In the first instance, check you have the very latest app version.

The go to Settings / Manage / System Updates / Check for Updates to ensure everything is up-to-date.

Try Pandora from your smart TV again, see if grouping rooms works.

Otherwise, I would turn everything off - router, speakers, phone.

Get the router back up and running first.

Then all speakers - probably start with Arc, then sub, then surrounds, then each One SL.

Then turn the phone back on and re-open the app. 

Try Pandora from your smart TV again, see if it works.

In the first instance, check you have the very latest app version.

The go to Settings / Manage / System Updates / Check for Updates to ensure everything is up-to-date.

Try Pandora from your smart TV again, see if grouping rooms works.

Otherwise, I would turn everything off - router, speakers, phone.

Get the router back up and running first.

Then all speakers - probably start with Arc, then sub, then surrounds, then each One SL.

Then turn the phone back on and re-open the app. 

Try Pandora from your smart TV again, see if it works.

Regarding app update -- where do I do this?  On my iphone?  Within the app when it’s running?  I’m not seeing that exact path you mention above

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Check your App Store to see if your app needs an update. Update it if required.

Then the path I gave you is in the app. By “Settings” I mean the cog in the top right of the app’s home screen.

Check your App Store to see if your app needs an update.

Then the path I gave you is in the app. By “Settings” I mean the cog in the top right of the app’s home screen.

Thanks!

All … basic Sonos app grouping question. So, app functionality seems to have broken since the update. Here is my setup. (3) Rooms.  Room (1) Living Room with Sonos Arc, Sub, and Left/Right One SL surrounds.  Room (2) Office1 with a single One SL.  Room (3) Office2 with a single One SL.  So, while streaming Pandora music from my Smart TV in the living room, all seems ok in Room (1).  But, if I try to group in Office1 and Office2 to listen to the same music, everything goes silent and I lose control of where the Pandora output is pointed.  The only way to remedy change the grouping to the Living Room, shutting off my TV and turning back on.  In the past, I could easily add/remove rooms from the group and the music would stream perfectly fine.  Thoughts on why this is?  Do I need to re-set up all my room configurations since the app updates?  Any advice would be appreciated!  Thanks all! 

Make sure you are grouping from the room which is actually playing the source.  If you don’t, the rooms will go silent.  For example:

Below in my app, I have a silent room (Living Room) and The Smashing Pumpkins playing in another (Den).  Right now, my default room is the Living Room.

If I want to have The Smashing Pumpkins in the Den grouped with the Living Room, I need to get the Den room displayed and group from that.  So I swipe up on the little bar at the top of the Living Room:

Then scroll up until I see the Den.

Tap on the Group icon (next to the >) in the Den room to bring up the grouping screen:

Scroll up and check the Living Room:

Then click Apply:

Den and Living Room are now grouped and playing the Smashing Pumpkins.

Thanks @jgatie !  OK, that worked.  What I seemed to be doing wrong is clicking on the group icon at this stage of the game:

But, if I actually enter into the source room first, then group from there, all works as expected.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Well done, @jgatie

@NikonPhotog - hopefully you at least know you have an up-to-date system now..!