Answered

The S2 app report that the Networks "Ïn Use" - can't actually see networks

• 3 January 2021
  • 3 replies

I've hooked up my Play 3 through an ethernet cable, using the S2 app (Tried S1 app - FAIL). The device works perfectly through the cable. I'm trying to setup the wireless functionality, but when I access the System>Network>Networks all I get is a message saying 'In Use’'. I can't see any SSID's. The message is the same on Apple IOS and Android. Asus router is B/G/N enabled and all devices are on the 2.4g frequency. 5g network is live, but shutting that down is not an option. Without access to the ssid's I can't setup the wireless passwords. All factory resets and updates completed. Any ideas or advice gratefully accepted. 

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 3 January 2021, 14:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

If you wire any Sonos product within your system then it’s usually a case that a WiFi signal from the router is not needed by the speakers as they connect to/between each other using their own in-built SonosNet WiFi signal - In that case you just need the routers WiFi for your mobile controller to connect to and remotely control the speakers. So as you wired the Play:3 you don’t see a WiFi network in use - which is correct.

You can add your local 2.4ghz routers WiFi signal if you wish to use that connection instead of the wired connection - just goto “Settings/System/Networks/Wireless Setup” and enter your routers WiFi credentials (SSID/Password) - note they are case sensitive. If you then uncable your sonos priducts from the network they will run on your routers WiFi signal, er.. that’s providing the WiFi credentials are entered correctly.😀

I hope that helps explain why you are originally not seeing any ‘networks in use’ in the App.

Hi Ken,

thanks for replying. I see now that I was selecting the incorrect menu function. I was selecting Settings>System>Network>Networks, when in fact I should have been reaching for Settings/System/Networks/Wireless Setup, as you've directed. 

So, now my problem is that the 'Wireless Setup' function is greyed out and I can't select it. Its strange because apart from that I have full functionality on the Play 3 between my phone S2 app and the wired connection. 

Hi Ken,

thanks for replying. I see now that I was selecting the incorrect menu function. I was selecting Settings>System>Network>Networks, when in fact I should have been reaching for Settings/System/Networks/Wireless Setup, as you've directed. 

So, now my problem my problem is that the 'Wireless Setup' function is greyed out and I can't select it. Its strange because apart from that I have full functionality on the Play 3 between my phone and the wired connection. 

See if there are any Sonos updates that need installing and that you are signed in, in ‘Settings/Account’. Then goto “Settings/System/[Play:3 Room Name]” and select the Play:3 Speaker and check if it’s wireless adapter is disabled - if so, you need to enable it.

Keeping the device wired, return to the Wireless setup in the App Network area and there should be an option in the Wireless setup to 'reset' and add new WiFi Network credentials… er ..hopefully.

If not, then submit a system diagnostic and post its reference number back here, so the Support Staff can perhaps check to see if the wireless adapter is working okay on the speaker.