The advantages of two Sonos subs versus one?

• 5 February 2024
  • 14 replies

Does it really make a significant enough difference to add a second Sonos sub instead of just having a single sub? I’ve heard conflicting comments from hi-fi oriented friends posting here to get the viewpoint of those most experienced.

14 replies

I suppose there may be the rare case where two Subs make sense, but unless one knows Subs and how to place them, one can even cancel out the sound from the other!

The Sonos Sub is adequate for most home audio needs.

Userlevel 7

I have two Subs with my Arc + Era 300s setup in my living room that is 13’ X 19’. The first Sub is located at the front left corner of the room. The second Sub is located at the back right corner. When I only had the first Sub, it sounded good, but I could tell the bass was coming from the front corner of the room. The bass also sounded weaker at certain spots in the room. After adding the second Sub, the bass sounds more balanced throughout the entire room. It feels punchier and more impactful too. So overall I have been very pleased with adding the second Sub.

Very useful. The decision key seems to be room size and strategic placement. My room is 20’ x 19’ so plenty big enough to support two subs. Thank you both!

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@Denzerini 

Sometimes there are some misleading statements that a double sub setup would give you „more“ bass caused by playing deeper frequencies. Thats definitely wrong…

The main intention of using a second  sub should be to get a equal, harmonic bass filled room without blind spots. 

@Denzerini

The main intention of using a second  sub should be to get a equal, harmonic bass filled room without blind spots. 

And that needs accurate placement of each Sub with reference to where the other is placed, a more complex task than placing two speakers for stereo sound. Unfortunately Sonos does not do true play for 2 subs playing in tandem although true play does quite well in adapting the sound of one Sub to the room for best results. So once both are tuned separately via true play, they may still need to be moved around for best results together which will disturb the true play tuning. For setting up two Subs, it may actually be better to not use Trueplay.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@Kumar 

I never used a setup with two subs… not sure if I understood your point right. If I configure a two sub ht setup, is there still the option for trueplay?

I suppose it should be… and imo using it should include that trueplay adjusts the settings of both subs depending on their positioning and influence to each other as good as possible. 
Or did you say that of course a manually optimized positioning of two subs can make trueplay be able to get better results? 
Just confused a bit… 😉

@Kumar

and imo using it should include that trueplay adjusts the settings of both subs depending on their positioning and influence to each other as good as possible. 

I agree true-play should do this; but I don’t think it does, only one Sub gets optimised at a time via true-play. If it does both as you have described above, and I am wrong, then my post is invalid!

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I‘m pretty sure Sonos has done so and trueplay will optimize both subs to each other. But as you said @Kumar, it‘s the same like with one sub… if the position is bad, trueplay can‘t make gold from *. 😉

So a good sub setting always needs manual optimization by finding the best place in your room. Whatever using one or two subs. 

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

I‘m pretty sure Sonos has done so and trueplay will optimize both subs to each other.

I have my doubts it does this and my point is that if it does not, it is perhaps better to leave true-play off and do the placement.EQ adjustment for the two Subs manually.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@Kumar 

Maybe one of the Sonos mods can clarify this. In any case I would do both TP adjustment and finding the best placement. 

@Kumar

Maybe one of the Sonos mods can clarify this. In any case I would do both TP adjustment and finding the best placement. 

Unless TP is done for both together, TP adjustment may go around in circles with the placement exercise, making both go wrong.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@Kumar 

As said… l don’t know how it works in detail and would appreciate any info from the mods. I just assume first finding the best positions and then doing the tp adjustment will optimize the whole setup. 

Any idea how 2 subs to the left of a room (separated by some distance) compares to 1 sub to the left of a room?  It's for a great room where everything but the arc is basically hidden.

Userlevel 7

Hi @AJE1979 

No one can tell you how 2 subs vs 1 sub will sound in YOUR space. Everyone's room/space layout is different. In some instances 2 subs may not be as good as 1 and in others they are better. You really need to experiment with placement in your space to determine what arrangement sounds best. FYI, in my media room 2 subs based on how they are placed out perform a single sub.