Answered

Switch betwen spotify with Sonos and Tv with Beam + sonos

• 31 March 2024
  • 8 replies

Good evening,

I have been setting up my new setup : 5 sonos one, 1 sub and one Sonos Beam for the Tv (with the optical port adaptor).

I use the 5 speakers and the sub for spotify and everything works fine.

Now, if i wanted to watch tv and have the sound on both the beam and the Sonos speakers. Is this actually even possible? How would i need to proceed? Create a new group (independant from the ones for Spotify ie 5 Sonos One and the Sub)? To do that setup does the Beam has to be connected to the TV through the optical cord or the regular Arc port? Also, how would the Sonos know they have to play the tv sound ?

I did try to look for s similar question in topics and could not find what i needed - sorry if the questions was asked before.

Many thanks in advance,

Damien

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 31 March 2024, 16:48

View original

8 replies

It isn’t clear, from your post, how you’ve set up this system. I’m going to treat it as a Beam, with a pair of Ones bonded as surrounds, and a Sub bonded to the Beam as well. This is a complete home theater setup. It should automatically play the output from the TV connected to the Beam via the TV’s ARC port. You can, however, turn off the ‘autoplay’ function on the digital input if you desire, then you'd need to turn on that input every time you want to use it, rather then having it come on when it senses something from the TV set. 

That leaves 3 Sonos Ones, which must be either two rooms (one stereo pair and a mono room), or three separate rooms ( all mono rooms).

When using the grouping function and streaming Spotify, all Sonos ‘rooms’ will be in sync. When using that same function while playing the input from the TV set, the rooms that are not part of the home theater setup will be delayed by 75 ms, due to the need of the Sonos software to buffer the signal.

Did I answer all of your questions? More specificity might be helpful if I didn’t. 

Hello Bruce,

and thank you for the quick reply.

I ll try to explain what I’m trying to do :

I’m using my setup in my restaurant where :

• I use Spotify to play music on the 5 Sonos One and the sub
  • I want to be able to show games on the tv with the sounds coming on the. 5 Sonos One (which is the reason why I bought the Beam - i read somewhere that this was needed if I wanted to play the sound from the Tv on the Sonos one. I also picked the Bean with the optical adapt cause I was told it was needed to connect the Beam to the Sonos speakers to play the sound of the TV though the Sonos speakers).

I hope it brought some clarification and that you understand better what I’m trying to do.

Thank you again.

Damien

Ok, so you’re not trying to use these as intended in a home environment. Each Sonos One needs to be set up in its own ‘room’, not as surrounds. The Subwoofer should be bonded to one of those Sonos One ’rooms’, not the Beam, as I suspect you have it set up currently for Spotify. There will always be, as mentioned, a 75ms delay between the Beam and all grouped rooms. But indeed, the best way to get the sound from the TV into the Sonos system is a soundbar like the Beam. You can certainly turn down the volume on the Beam, and up on the grouped rooms, so you and your customers don’t hear the ‘echo’. 

You may want to consider the information here, since you’re operating this in a business. Since I haven’t researched it myself, I have no idea if they handle licensing issues with ASCAP and the like for institutions. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Just an addition. If your TV has an HDMI-ARC connection in my opinion you do not have to use the optical adapter. I do not see any relevance to using the adapter for the stated goal, grouping the Beam to the other Sonos speakers.

All of the Grouped ONE’s will be time aligned with each other. There will be a time skew between BEAM and the ONE’s when playing TV audio. You may be able to partially or fully mitigate this skew using BEAM’s lip sync adjustment. (Note that I said “may”)

Thank you all for your answers and help.

i did connect the beam directly thought the hdmi/arc port. But now how does the beam knows to send to signal/sound to the Sonos speakers (when Spotify is off obviously)? 

When I play Spotify I usually don’t need the sound coming out of the beam but just the speakers and the sub (not that it would bother me though). 

Do I need to create a new group with all the Sonos products in order to have the TV sound coming through all of them?

many thanks

damien

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You command the system via the Sonos app - that’s how you tell it to group speakers. For mor sabot grouping see https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/group-and-ungroup-rooms?language=en_US You can either make a named group or “group all”.

Awesome I will try.

thank you