Answered

Sub Mini placement

• 26 July 2023
  • 3 replies

I have a sub mini in my game room/office/hobby room currently, along with a Beam Gen 1 and pair of play 1s.  It currently sits on the floor just to right of the TV console, and perfectly happy with it’s performance.  However, for various reasons, I’m thinking about putting in an enclosure for a few different reasons.

The enclosure would essentially be something I build myself and completely replaces the TV console.  What sort of air space does the Sub mini need on the sides, top and rear?   From what I’ve looked at, vibrations and air flow wouldn’t be an issue as long as there is an inch or so of clearance on all sides. Sound quality is what I’d be concerned about  The front would be fully open of course.  Material of the enclosure would be ¾ MDF or plywood, if that matters.

Normally, I would just test it out to see what I think, but I don’t want to spend the time making it if it’s unlikely to work well.  There are few other places I could put the sub, as space is limited in the room but I could test that out.

For those that are curious, my reasons are:

• dust and dog hair.  Raising the sub a little off the floor and limiting space around should help with that.
  • hide wires.  the sub sits in between TV and computer and other stuff, so there are wires behind it I’d like to hide if possible.
  • Limited space in the room. I have a lot of stuff in that room now and I’d like to maximize space by able to have a shelf above the Sub if possible.
  • Because I kinda like building stuff.
icon

Best answer by Sotiris C. 28 July 2023, 16:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hey @melvimbe, thank you for the post!

If you leave 5-10 cm on all sides it should be fine. Not only sound wise but also cooling, so the Sonos Sub Mini does not overheat.

If you put the Sub in an enclosed space you will most likely have some sound quality loss. but that's minimal. As long as one of the openings of the center tunnel faces the open side it will be fine.

• dust and dog hair.  Raising the sub a little off the floor and limiting space around should help with that.

You do not need to be afraid of dust and dog hair, the Sonos Sub Mini is a closed system. 🐶👍

I hope this helped a bit, have fun building!

Hey @melvimbe, thank you for the post!

If you leave 5-10 cm on all sides it should be fine. Not only sound wise but also cooling, so the Sonos Sub Mini does not overheat.

If you put the Sub in an enclosed space you will most likely have some sound quality loss. but that's minimal. As long as one of the openings of the center tunnel faces the open side it will be fine.

Thank you. This is about what I thought, but a guess I’ll need to plan on a bit more space on the sides than I thought.  Should have included the pic originally to give a better idea of what I was thinking of.  Mini would stay where it is currently, just covered over and off the floor.  And hiding wires.

You do not need to be afraid of dust and dog hair, the Sonos Sub Mini is a closed system. 🐶👍

I hope this helped a bit, have fun building!

I’m not worried about the sub, I just don’t want to have to clean the sub all the time! My little girl doesn’t shed much, she just chews up things (obviously)  My big boy sheds like you wouldn’t believe.  And they both track in a lot of dirt.   

I haven’t decided whether this will be a fun build or not yet.

I ended up deciding not to enclose the sub mini, as I didn’t really need the space on top, didn’t want to risk impacting the audio, and the table/console lines up better with the TV this way.  The sub still sounds great to me.

And I upgraded the Beam to a Gen 2, along with some Era 100s in the rear.  Still need to mount the Era 100s to the wall, and will trueplay after that.