Answered

Stereo Pairing

• 20 November 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi, I’m new to all this Sonos gear so bear with me

I’ve bought a Sonos 5 and now want to get a couple of Sonos 1’s and Gen 3 Sub that will all exist in one room.

My question is, can I create a stereo pair with the 1’s whilst they’re in the same group as the Sub and 5 which will not be in a pair?

Thank you  

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 20 November 2023, 23:27

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Yes. You can have two Sonos rooms, for example like the ones shown below.

Lounge (Play:1 stereo pair). Click here for details on how to create a stereo pair

Lounge 2 (Sonos Five & bonded Sub). Click here for more details about adding a Sub

Then you can group/ungroup the two rooms to play all audio sources, as required. See here for details on how to group/ungroup your Sonos rooms.

Note the above room names are examples, you can call them whatever you want (within reason of course).

Hope that assists

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks again!  I appreciate the detail and links!

I hope I explained myself well enough.  Essentially I am talking about one room (kitchen/diner/dance floor).  I want the 2 x 1’s to be stereo paired within the same group as the 5 and the sub which won’t be.

Can paired and unpaired speakers coexist in the same room?  I think you’re saying they can right?

You just simply ‘group’ the two Sonos rooms (called Lounge and Lounge 2 in my example) - all speakers mentioned can be in the same (or different) physical rooms in your home. When grouped, all will play the audio in sync.

Thanks again!  I appreciate the detail and links!

I hope I explained myself well enough.  Essentially I am talking about one room (kitchen/diner/dance floor).  I want the 2 x 1’s to be stereo paired within the same group as the 5 and the sub which won’t be.

Can paired and unpaired speakers coexist in the same room?  I think you’re saying they can right?

Not exactly.  Can you have one room name with all those speakers in that room? No.  In the above example, the stereo pair is one room name, and the 5 and Sub are another.  Can you then group those two rooms together to all play in sync?  Yes, you can.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Arhh, now I understand.  Nice, thank so much!!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks jgatie too!

Makes perfect sense.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

This was so much easier to explain back when Sonos called each speaker or combination of speakers a Zone and told you you could name your Zones as you wanted.

At least they didn’t send me a sticky label for my Zone Player 80 to relabel it a Room Player 80.  :-)